Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Dip Stick Tube

O Vette

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe, 1977 Yellow T-Top
I'm somewhat baffled but, it is not the first time I've got a 77 L-48 automatic. I was checking the oil and the dip stick tube fell out. Searched around the forums and web but, I still have a couple of questions. Any help is appreciated. I looked at the hole in the block and it seems to have some threads but, the dip stick tube doesn't. Tried to stick the tube back in, however it is to loose to stay in. The block end of the tube has a flare 1-3/4 inches from the end but, the tube only goes into the hole 3/4 of an inch so the flare doesn't get pressed into the tube. My questions are:
Was there ever a dip stick tube that screwed in?
Could this be the wrong tube for this '77?
Could I flare the end of the tube and jam it in?
Should I just order a new one from Zip or elsewhere?
I'd like to drive the car but am afraid oil will come out of the block hole, could I stick something in the hole as a very temporary fix to prevent oil from coming out?
Thanks!

I'm somewhat baffled but, it is not the first time I've got a 77 L-48 automatic. I was checking the oil and the dip stick tube fell out. Searched around the forums and web but, I still have a couple of questions. Any help is appreciated. I looked at the hole in the block and it seems to have some threads but, the dip stick tube doesn't. Tried to stick the tube back in, however it is to loose to stay in. The block end of the tube has a flare 1-3/4 inches from the end but, the tube only goes into the hole 3/4 of an inch so the flare doesn't get pressed into the tube. My questions are:
Was there ever a dip stick tube that screwed in?
Could this be the wrong tube for this '77?
Could I flare the end of the tube and jam it in?
Should I just order a new one from Zip or elsewhere?
I'd like to drive the car but am afraid oil will come out of the block hole, could I stick something in the hole as a very temporary fix to prevent oil from coming out?
Thanks!
Found the answer. When the tube fell out I put it pack in upside down. Dumb! Right side up it is more snug but, I used some Permatex Ultra Black just at the flare to make it more secure. Seems this is a common problem as the tube was just pressed in at the factory.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom