Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OIL-for what it's worth

goingballistic

Corvette
1981 Beige Coupe
Just an FYI.

During my dyno test I ran regular Valvoline 10w-40. Between draining the oil out the two piece timing cover :mad and vibrating my oil filter loose, I ended changing the oil for the second day on the dyno.

The guy who owns the shop told me to use Valvoline VV851 Oil for breakin. Apparently this stuff has Zinc in it. From what I have researched so far, the EPA has had many of the additives removed from motor oils, such as zinc and other chemical packages that actually help the engine in these applications, Valvoline is one of the few that still carry zinc. So for break in I ran the VV851, drained it and will run regular 10-40 or 50 for the first 500-600 miles then run another load of the VV851. I plan to run this every other oil change and see if it makes a difference.

Just passing on some info I thought might be of interest, cheers.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?Product=94

Fwiw, there have been extensive discussions over at the NCRS DB and this subject came up. Yes, zinc has been removed from oil and several posters there said that the current diesel quality oils still have zinc in their additive package. A lot of folks, me included, have been using diesel rated oil for quite a while. The gist of the post was that the diesel additive package is really good for our older engines.

Gary

Oil has been a popular topic everywhere lately. We have been having a discussion on oil here.

Tom

Good reading on the Valvoline site. Most racing oil oils contain increased levels of zinc and other anti wear additives. That's why most racing and deisel oils don't meet todays new car specs due to the harm these additives do to cat converters. You could say that the high zinc oils are too good for todays cars and you would be right. :L

For those of you looking for an affordable alternative, Shell Rotella 15W40 has the highest level of zinc available across the counter.

That's why you should put in a quart of G.M.'s EOS right on the cam & lifters before the intake is put on...

VR1 Valvoline Racing Oil

Believing that all Valvoline Racing Oils have sufficient zinc content for the cam break-in period, I purchased 20W-50 VR1 Valvoline Racing oil (VV211). Does anyone know if this oil has enough zinc content for this crucial period?

I used Castrol the last time around, and I am not sure if I wiped the old cam. This time, I coated the cam, lifters, and valve train with moly lube and GM EOS assembly lube. I hope the VR1 oil will help complete the job.

Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom