Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Oil Leak; What would you do?

berry1133@bellsouth.net

Hello L81 family. I have a little oil seepage on the front and rear of my right side cylinder head. It appears to be coming from in between the head and the block. I am not getting any oil into the cylinder as the plugs are dry and, all cylinders are holding compression about the same Also, I haven't had to add any oil. My first thought is to check the torque on the head bolts. (what should that be? I have aluminum heads)
What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
BBerry

If it is truly oil you are seeing, it isn't from the head/block interface. I would be looking at either a valve cover gasket or the seals at the ends of the intake manifold.

My valve covers seep as well...
I just clean the block down every once in a while...

Well this is comforting news. I will clean the area up real well and try to figure out the source. Thanks guys!!!

Upon further review, it appears that my seepage is from the rear and front of the intake manifold. How big of a job is it to change out the gasket? I know that I would have to drain the coolant. Would I be able to leave the carb attached to the intake? What about the distributor? I'm assuming this would need to come off.

Thanks.

Yes, you can leave the carb on the manifold but it really will not save you that much work. The distributor will have to come out to remove the manifold. Mark the postion of the rotor before pulling it out and as long as no one turns the engine over it should go in the same position as it came out. Just purchase the gaskets that fit between the manifold and the heads, use a 1/4 inch bead of high temp silicon RTV at the front and rear of the block where the manifold sets.

Good Luck Tim

Thanks Tim. I just cleaned the surfaces real well using brake cleaner. I want to see how bad the seepage actually is before I dig in. I haven't had to add any oil, no spots on the floor, nor have I seen any smoke from oil burning off from the engine heat. I may just live with it for a while of it isn't too bad. Thanks again.

BBerry

Normally I'm not the one to say this, but knowing how much work it is, just leave it! :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom