Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil leak

J

jedi

Umm....guys, I seem to have developed an oil leak towards the back of my engine :eek: . It's leaking on something that is cuasing the engine to smoke a bit as I drive :eek . It's not a bad leak yet but in a month or so I could be leaking as much as a quart, I am building a oil stain about the size of a dinner plate on my garage floor. Any suggestions where this might be coming from? The majority of the smoke seems to come from the center of the engine all the way in the back near the firewall.
Jedi

You have developed the common rear intake manifold to block seal leak.

Plan on spending an afternoon pulling the intake and putting a fresh RTV silicone seal on the front and rear of the intake and cleaning up the oil mess.

You might be able to spray some break cleaner back there, wipe and blow it dry. Then force some RTV (black) in the gap between the intake and block using your finger.

It might hold for now....I did that to a 36 Ford Street Rod with LT1 conversion...it worked like a champ and saved me hours of time pulling the intake, and new intake gaskets.

Thanks for the quick diag!

Can I drive the car for a few weeks with it like this? I don't have the equipment to fix this myself, but the car is under warranty so I would take it back to the dealer. What would they do? Replace the gaskets?
Jedi

I had the dealer replace some gasket, not sure which one. I had the stoplight smokin' prob also but $300 to my local Chevy dealer cured it. I drove it for about a month as the prob got progressively worse. Just make sure the oil level is good, but I didn't have any probs beside the smell and other drivers onlooking.

Terry is right.

It is just going to make a bigger mess the longer you drive.

Warranty on a 95? That is cool!

Yeah, its one of those extended warranties. 4 years or 40K. Covers most stuff. Can be a PITA to work with though. You have to have patiance.
Jedi

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom