Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil leak...

chimknee

Corvette
1996 LT1 Coupe Artic White
My 96 LT1 has a slight oil leak and leaves occasional oil drops on the cardboard on the garage floor. The car has 59500 miles on it. Had it in today for some service at a local shop, and they said it was coming from the timing chain cover. They suggested that I bring it to GM if I want to repair it. I've had the car about 3 months. The previous owner mentioned it but said there was no noticeable change on the oil level so hadn't done anything about it. The shop said to keep an eye on it. Mobil 1 probably helps the leak. Any thoughts? TIA
Vic

chimknee said:
My 96 LT1 has a slight oil leak and leaves occasional oil drops on the cardboard on the garage floor. The car has 59500 miles on it. Had it in today for some service at a local shop, and they said it was coming from the timing chain cover. They suggested that I bring it to GM if I want to repair it. I've had the car about 3 months. The previous owner mentioned it but said there was no noticeable change on the oil level so hadn't done anything about it. The shop said to keep an eye on it. Mobil 1 probably helps the leak. Any thoughts? TIA
Vic
I also had a oil drip like your. My car was 12yrs old with only 4k miles. It was the intake end seals. It appeared to be also coming from the timing chain cover but when cleaned up it was only the intake.I used a newer type silicone sealer which I am told will hold up better than the original silicone. This is a common problem with LT1 engines. Its not a bad job to do yourself if your ok with it. Everything comes apart pretty easy. Just a little time consuming.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom