Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil pan removal, in car

H

Henry

Has anyone solved this problem? There doesn't appear to be enough clearance to remove the oil pan without raising the motor. I have what sounds like a rod knock and I would like to check the lower end.

I have pulled the pan from several C-4 vettes without raiseing the motor off the motor mounts , be aware the crankshaft counterweights will prevent the pan from moveing back off the cross member unless the #1 piston is about 1/2 way down the cylinder so the counter weight is horizontally located thats the only major problem other than the two diagonal braces and the starter need to come off for clearance

Yep, I have done this in the car as well. I must have gotten lucky the first time (position of #1), because I was able to yank mine right off my old 85. In fact, had to do it twice because the oil pick up fell off the 383 motor.

grumpyvette said:
I have pulled the pan from several C-4 vettes without raiseing the motor off the motor mounts , be aware the crankshaft counterweights will prevent the pan from moveing back off the cross member unless the #1 piston is about 1/2 way down the cylinder so the counter weight is horizontally located thats the only major problem other than the two diagonal braces and the starter need to come off for clearance

Yep I agree with grumpy.. on my 89 the 2 diagonal braces need to come off. once off the pan will drop..

I did not have to remove the starter on mine though

oil pan removal

Thanks for the help. With the diagonal bars removed the pan was easy to remove. I had already unbolted the starter and rotated the crank as you mentioned.
Bad news though. Bearings have spun on #3 & #4. Damage to the crank and possibly the rods.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom