Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil pressure at idle

M

muzy67

Just like to know normal operating pressure at idle as well as @ 2000rpm. My pressure reads as low as 13 psi at 600rpm. Oil qty good. No external leakage evident. At cruise, 1800/2000rpm, it reads 45psi. I read my manual for norm. press. @ 2000 and I am on the low side of that range if not out. It is not clear on idle pressure. Maybe my pump is going???

My minimum rule of thumb is for every 1000rpm the Oil pressure should be 7psi..

it does sound low at idle though mine is in the 20's at idle (engine warm/hot) and around 45 or higher while accelerating..

I have an analog gauge so it is tougher to pinpoint

That pressure may not be low. What is the viscosity of the oil? The synthetics are thinner and supposedly slipperier, er, more slippery, hence the high pressure of yore is not essential. At least, that is from Mobil, in their Mobil One brochure.

BTW, you can edit your message by clicking on the little <edit> link; lower right. With my fingers, I get lots of practice!

Welcome to the best Vette forum/gathering, without cars, anywhere! :w

I run 20W50 Castrol High Mileage oil, w/ engine ol hot/normal temp. at 600-700rpm idle..40lbs, at 75-80mph higway speeds at 1900-2000rpm..65lbs of pressure.

No leaks, no burning oil at 160,000 miles currently.
Have fun,
Fix

muzy67 said:
Just like to know normal operating pressure at idle as well as @ 2000rpm. My pressure reads as low as 13 psi at 600rpm. Oil qty good. No external leakage evident. At cruise, 1800/2000rpm, it reads 45psi. I read my manual for norm. press. @ 2000 and I am on the low side of that range if not out. It is not clear on idle pressure. Maybe my pump is going???

Yours sounds good to me. I don't know the Chevy specs for '86 but way back in '73 the Chevy standard was 40 psi at 2000 rpm.

tom...

Thanks ya,ll !!! I'll have to check the wt oil when I get home. Hey Fixvet, I have 170,000, of which 166,000 are mine since Mar '90. Its been a great ride and still is. I'll check that high mileage oil out. thanks

My numbers 1988 L-98

Castrol 20-50
130K on engine
Idle ( HOT ) 500-550rpm

20-24psi

Been that way during summer....

2K cruise 45-50psi

Cold Idle 45 psi

FYI

Vig!

There is an access plug near the oil filter to check oil pressure with an oil pressure gauge..... if you have one. This will give you a real reading of your engine's oil pressure.
Worn crank babbit bearings will show a decrease in oil pressure. Any tolerance readings like the crank bearings or cam bearings will show a loss of hydraulic pressure. This and other resistance type features in an engine (orifice holes) are what determine pressure variables.

Yea guys, I,m sure my engine is getting worn. I just noticed my pressure drop in the last couple of months. I may have to upgrade to a different forum, no reflection on ya'll if you know what I mean! Thanks for the input.:_rock

cntrhub said:
...babbit bearings

Prior to 1940 just about every machine built used Babbitt bearings, and every mechanic was familiar with them. If you ask the average guy under 40 years of age today if he has ever heard of Babbitt you will likely get a blank stare. ;)

_ken :w

Depending on my sending units mood, I get 25lb at idle with pennzoil,quaker state 5w-30
If I use mobil or exxon I get as low as 15lbs red hot idling.

At 1700 rpm ....68mph I get 55 -59 lbs

I've only used 5w-30

original everything!!!

I have changed the sending unit a couple of times because they are not consistent. I have giving up changing them.

Use a mechanical gauge if you want accuracy.

On the 85; 80K miles
Hot engine: 28-32psi idle 58-62psi cruising.
Running Mobil1

Carlo

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom