Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil pressure guage pinned

Tigershark_11

Corvette
2000 pewter convertable 6m
I have a 2000 corvette and all of a sudden my oil pressure guage is pined. I shut the car off and it goes down to 0 psi then if I tur the key on and it will almost be pined and doesnt go down to 0 where it should be before u start the car. Is this an electrical thing or a bad guage or worse? Will I be able to drive it until I get it fixed or no?

thanks bob.

There have been a number of posts in the past about a common occurrence of a faulty oil pressure sensor (sending unit). Do a search on "oil pressure gauge" and see you find some threads that that sound like your symptoms.

I don't have any first-hand experience with this, so I won't venture any guesses about drivability, etc.

Tammy

Sounds like the oil pressure sending unit. It's a bear to replace since you have to remove the intake manifold! There are a lot of threads on the subject. The sending unit is prone to failure and many C5 owners go as far as cutting a hole in the lower windshield cover so that they may gain access to it. Good luck. It's kind of pricey but this is one thing I would trust only to a competent corvette mechanic to work on.
Regards Zig.

Almost forgot, It is safe to drive with a broken sending unit. It only affects the guage. I'm on my third OPSU since the mechanic overtourqed the second one and it only lasted for 30 min.

I did some research myself and found on another forum some pretty detailed pic's on what and how to cut under the windshield to get to the sending unit. Maybe it's something as simple as a bad ground, but I doubt it. Not a major issue,but something that should be fixed.;squint:

Thanks guys I still have a warranty so Ill bring it to the dealer to fix I just wanted to make sure I wouldnt damage the engine if I drove it like that.

Thanks again..Bob.:beer

They did replace the oil pressure sending unit behind the intake manifold and the thing is now back to normal. :beer

:upthumbs
Did they tell you how much it would have cost if it weren't under warranty?

No but I would say around 150 for labor and 65 for the part. I can look on my slip if you like?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom