Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil pressure reg. pertaining to fuel pump

Z

zenmaster1193

thanks for the help on explaining how to remove the fuel pump, but before i finished the job i was curious as to why the prob started. there is an oil recirc. hole in the pump from the block, right, and my oil pressure was reading very high previous to repairs, causing some leaks from what i believe is the rear main seal, however, i have tried bleeding the lines, replacing oil and oil filter, though none seem to be very good solution, and my pressure is still very high...would that pressure have been able to damage my fuel pump, causing it to expel out of the weep hole? if so, how can i decrease oil pressure, or should i even worry about it, will it cause more damages? (we're talking around 70 on the gauge, even at idle, with some increase during heavy accel.)

matt

Matt - The fuel pump doesn't see direct oil pressure - the only oil it sees is what dribbles down the pushrod from the eccentric on the camshaft that drives the pushrod, and even that only gets splash oiling; I'm sure the pump just plain failed by itself.

I don't know the history of the internals of your engine relative to the oil pressure you describe; I'd get a known-good oil pressure test gauge and see if it indicates the same as the gauge in the car before doing anything else. 70 psi at idle with only slight fluctuation from idle to cruise rpm certainly isn't normal; if it really is 70 psi at idle (with a good test gauge), it's probably bypassing a lot of oil at higher rpm through the pressure relief valve in the oil pump.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom