Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Pressure

Les Walter

Corvette
1973 t-tops
What is considered "normal" for a '73 stock L-48 350. Mine runs 35 on the gauge when cold and about 20 when warm. I have 66,000 miles on the odometer but don't know how the car was treated for the first 64K

les

Sounds a bit low.Id pull the pan wich isnt too bad to do,check the bearing clearance on a couple rods and main bearings and put in a new pump if the clearances are good.

Vettehead Mikey said:
Is this at idle or highway speed?

Rule of thumb is minimum 10 psi for every 1000 RPM.
what he said. mine idles at about 20psi and at highway speed, puts out about 40psi

Too often, older gages /sending units are way off. As I recall, the 73 has mechanical op and no sender. Check your old gage(s) against a quality known standard gage. A lotta race cars are idle 'til next season ... perhaps someone nearby would lend you their Autometer op gage, line & fittings for an hour.
JACK:gap

I had to replace my oil pan so while I had it off, I put in a new high volume oil pump. Very easy job, the pan was the hardest part. Now the pressure is around 35-40 while idle and 70-80 at highway speed. Feels good to know that oil is really flushing around in that engine.

Andy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom