Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil pump pick-up

R

Robin7TFour

hello, i ve been having some odd oil pressure readings lately. so i decided to drop the oil pan and check the bearings (mains and rods). lo and behold, the pump pick-up is laying in the bottom of the pan. i am an not sure if it fell off during removal or has been off all along. either way, i am glad i checked...whew!
my question is, what's a good fix to prevent the pick-up from falling out again. i thought loctite #680(green) ,or possibly drilling the pump housing and having a set screw in place..
what do you all think??

robin :Buttslap

Pretty standard belts-and-suspender procedure to weld/braze it into place. Shame on who ever had your engine apart last time for not doing it!

Don't think the Locktite would be such a good idea.

If you weld the pickup, make sure to remove the relief spring before doing so. The heat will change the tension of the spring.
They also make a bolt on retainer, I believe you can get it thuough Jeg's or Summit.

mikey,scooter, thank you for the ideas.and i will check summit for the retainer. another plan was to stake the housing,after install. so many good choices!

thank you very much

robin :upthumbs

Have it welded

oilpickupwelded.jpg
Thanks Brian for the pic

Forget the set screw ... do have pump tube tack-welded to pump body. Make certain the tube is firmly seated into the pump housing/inlet. 4 QUICK tack welds will not overheat the piston nor the spring. If the pickup fell off while running ... the motor's bearings probably wouldn't last more than a minute. If this pump or pickup or pan is NEW to that combo ... do check pickup-to-pan clearance. If the clearance is wrong or if the pickup was simply wobbling (loose) ... that will cause erratic gage. Take a close look at main # 1 and rb's # 1 & #2 ... they're the first to starve.
JACK:gap

Drill it and use a pop rivet. No welds. No heat distortions. Easy removal if you need to service it - drill it out.
Since you have the old pump out already, buy a new pump. Don't go through the hassle.
Locktite is a no-no. Just think if a chunk fell out, was sucked in the pump blades, ground and chrunched through the oil channels and now is about to be spun on a crank bearing. What a mess!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom