Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil smell after oil change

Apology

Sorry for being so abrupt about Customer Service. I was out of line and apologize.

I t hink the 5.5 quart fill may be the answer. I'll be trying iot on the next oil change.

George

Im sorry, but I have to be the bitch here.

#1, in EVERY SINGLE DOCUMENT WITHIN GM, the capacities charts state APPROX FLUID CAPACITIES.

If you allow the engine to drain for 10 mins, you will have a different fill capacity than those who let it drain 1/2 hour.

In all circumstances, it is a requirement of the technician to correctly FILL THE CRANKCASE! The oil level MUST BE WITHIN THE UPPER HALF of the hashmarks on the dipstick. If they cannot handle it, drop the hood and step away from the vehicle!:mad

Now, lets look at it from a different point of view. There was a time, back in the early 2000s that we had an issue with an engine seal creating an oil smell, even though the oil level was correct and there was no leak.

I am unaware if this is what is occuring, but I will theorize that it may be a possibility.

Allthebest, Paul

My source for the information about the 5.5-qt vs 6.0-qt issue was the people inside GM who are responsible for compiling service data for the Corvette as well as my research into 08-12 Service Manual data, so there is no question that for Grand Sports with wet sumps, if whomever was changing the oil used the 6-qt. oil level, the engine was 1/2-qt overfull.

As to whether or not the half quart overfull on Grand Sport wet sump engines is responsible for the smell remains to be seen.

As for oil capacities being "approximate" GM is always going to say that to cover its butt. Reality is that oil capacity is a fixed number. The engine's crankcase doesn't change size and a quart of oil is always a quart. The approximate part comes from errors caused by different ways of reading dip sticks, aftermarket filters (ie anything other than an ACDelco) with varying capacities, failure to completely drain the oil, and perhaps other causes.

But the fact remains that there is a finite and exact amount of engine oil that fills the crankcase to a specific level determined by Powertrain engineers to be optimum. No doubt there is a small amount above or below that level which is acceptable but the nature of engineering is that there will be a specific oil level that is deemed "ideal".

But the fact remains that there is a finite and exact amount of engine oil that fills the crankcase to a specific level determined by Powertrain engineers to be optimum. No doubt there is a small amount above or below that level which is acceptable but the nature of engineering is that there will be a specific oil level that is deemed "ideal".

:thumb Absolutely!

And what one must put into the crankcase to get to any level is relative to how much was removed from the crankcase to begin with.

:upthumbs

:thumb Absolutely!

And what one must put into the crankcase to get to any level is relative to how much was removed from the crankcase to begin with.

:upthumbs

Hence Paul's statement about the tech knowing what he is doing.....:)

Hence Paul's statement about the tech knowing what he is doing.....:)

:thumb:thumb:thumb At the end of the day, the opinion of arguably the finest late model Corvette technician in the world is good enough for me. Paul's opinion is gold.

:thumb:thumb:thumb At the end of the day, the opinion of arguably the finest late model Corvette technician in the world is good enough for me. Paul's opinion is gold.

Amen brother... :BOW:BOW:BOW

I had this problem after an oil change in my 12 GS wet sump. I made some calls to friends at the factory, I got the story about the rear main seal, that is you have too much oil in the car, the oil reacts with the lube sealant/lube they put on the seal and that reacts with an odor. I also was told that its 5.5 qts not 6.... In my case, when I let the car sit overnight..and checked the dipstick the next morning after the oil change I found they overfilled it....I took the car back and told them to just put in 5 and a half qts...the odor went away. The specs in print still read 6 qts..and most dealers use it...you might want to inform them... I still get the oil smell after some high RPMs...but I guess that is common with this motor.. good luck...a lot of us are going through this dealing with the odor..I think Chevy ..outside of the factory haven't got a clue. They need better communication.

Might there be a chance for some of the new oil getting into the PCV system by being poured/pumped in fast enough to cover the inlet? Not sure where that inlet actually is so I'm just guessing here.

I've had oil smell before but only after a mile of so at 6,000 RPM and I've let off on it. When I resume speed the oil smell can be fairly strong for a mile or so. At that RPM there can be more oil in the upper part of the engine, liquid or heavy vapor, allowing the PCV to suck some up.

Took the time to go look it up and the PCV opening and the fill spout on the LS2 are in the same location in the valve cover. Haven't seen the actual parts to say the oil can bridge the gap between them or how it might wick into the PCV system. Will be changing the oil this week and will take a better look at it.

Last edited:
Ok, then I need to go back to school to correctly learn how to work on cars.

Sorry to misinform!

Paul...I am sorry that I offended you. That was not my intent when I posted the information I was given by one of my sources (which I'll share with you if you PM me) in GM.

I greatly respect your knowledge. Your experience in the service trade is vastly more and far more recent than my own.

I agree that the best way to set proper oil level is to fill to the "full" mark on the dip stick. Do that and regardless of what engine or whether or not it's got a cooler, the oil level will be correct, thus, oil level is taken out of the collection of characteristics which might cause oil smell after an oil change with no visible leaks.

With all due respect, if whomever is changing the oil on one of these engines which stinks of oil after the change and has no leaks is relying on GM's published oil capacity rather than the "full" mark on the stick, in some situations discussed earlier, putting six quarts into a wet sump LS3 will overfill the engine by at least half a quart and, if not all the old oil is drained, it will be more.

Oil level which is above the "full" mark can, under certain circumstances, cause oil smell.

Again, I apologize if I offended you, Paul. It was not my intent.:w

HI there,

To the original poster:

GM has released information on your condition as of July 24.

You can go to your dealership and request them to print out document ID 3581454 and that should answer all your questions and give you the repair process.

Allthebest, Paul

Good stuff Paul. Would you care to give a brief rundown on what the problem is and the fix?

Good stuff Paul. Would you care to give a brief rundown on what the problem is and the fix?

HI Tom,

Essentially, CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL FIRST, and then if the problem still occurs after validation of correct oil level, replace an engine seal. But the customer can request a printout and dealership can give it to them.

Allthebest, Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom