Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Temp Gauge

Did you post the sensor replacement procedure? If not, then don't worry about it. I know that it is pretty simple, but I am still wondering if I need to drill-out the internal passage for the oil sensor or does it need just to make contact with the block casting metal. :confused ...then Let me explain...:

I have a Z28 2-bolt main casting block number (which I have checked, but I can't recall the number at this time). I plan to ask my engine builder if it was modified as a 4-bolt mains, but it probably won't matter since my research has shown me that 500 Hp (plus operation below 6,000 rpm) and under is fine for a 2-bolt main. Anyway, the port for the oil sensor is open (the threaded part), but there seems to be a casting plug of some kind inside the hole past the threads. Does the sensor just touches the casting part of the block or is it supposed to be in direct contact with the oil itself. (I should probably be on the other side of this sign ;stupid, but I never removed it from the factory L81 block, and since the new engine build, I can't tell if my engine builder removed something from the original block :confused....:L I guess I cannot explain this issue very well....:help

oil temp gauge

if you don't have the sensor, will the wire be there anyways? I haven't checked yet, but my gauge is not working either. So I don't know yet if I have a sensor or if it is plugged. I believe I have a factory radio with digital read-out, but my glove box has the 8 track slots. Am I just babbling?

yellow81,

Look down on the left side of your engine block at the spot where your oil filter screws on. The oil temp sending unit(if you have one) is in the casting just above the oil filter itself. Now on your digital radio......is there a chrome area that says corvette? If there is, push on it to see if it is the 8 track door. The Chevrolet 8 track players had a door that the tape went into that was so oblivious that many people did not realize they had an 8 track player. If you have an oil temp gauge and a factory digital radio, then you have or should have a wire.

DDL-81, I did find the sensor and the wire hooked up to it. My sensor, I'm thinking must be bad. My radio is a cassette player, nothing saying Corvette. Could it not be a factory install? I have the same radio in my '88 Chevy dump truck. Thank you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom