Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OK guys.. it's tranny time.

CHEV66JB

Corvette
'59 Corvette #5366
Hey gang,

Well, the time has come for me to start hunting for a tranny for the '59. I have a driveshaft already, but I need the infamous Borg-Warner T-10 4-speed. Since my car will just be a driver, is there a unit I can use in place of the original model until I CAN find an original?

Again, just looking to get the thing mobile again- If anyone can help w/any info, or has a core I can pick up to rebuild, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

Are You...........

Looking for a #'s matching case or just a 4 speed for now? I have a Saginaw, not sure what it came out of but I was told when I bought it, it was in good shape but needs a snycro for 2nd gear. I never used it, it's been under the bench for 5 years. I do know of a very good rebuilder if you want the BW T 10 and may even be able to help you with the # thing. Let me know, I also have a T 10 that needs a total rebuild but is correct for 1962 and I would think it is worth more than the Saginaw.

Thanks for your reply, Rowdy1-

It doesn't have to be #'s matching, it just needs to be a 4-spd and one that wouldn't require mods from the stock setup. I'm just trying to save money now to get the car back together and back on the road. A #'s matching project will be later, and maybe something for MY kids to tackle :D

Thanks for your help!

Jim

I Think............

The Saginaw would work, we'll have to wait for the ones here that know to chime in. Let me know if you might be interested, I have a few things I'm going to get rid of.

Lou

A Saginaw is a cast iron case low performance Muncie. It'll fit your '59 with the same mods that a Muncie would require.

The Muncie came out in high performance Chevies in 1963 or 1964. It was considered an improvement over the Borg Warner T10. The Muncie will fit in the place of the T10. But the 2 transmissions take different driveshaft yokes. And maybe different shifter linkage and clutch disc. In the day, it was very common to replace a T10 in a 55-64 Corvette with a Muncie. But those were also the days when yokes, and shifter linkage were cheap. My point is that you should figure all this in the total price.

Today, you can probably buy Muncies for the same price as a T10. Saginaws should be cheaper. I sold a perfect low mileage Saginaw for $200 about 4 years ago.

The issue with the Saginaw 4-speed would be the shift linkage, as it was never used in a Corvette and has all three shift levers in the side cover; a lo-performance later-year passenger car shifter (lo-performance '67-'69 Camaros used the Saginaw 4-speed) could probably be adapted, but would probably need the shift rods fabricated.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom