Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Old Indy Cars

clancy.jpg

Cool! What a great find.:beer

Kinda reminds me of the Tyrrell P34 from the Formula One series of the '70s... not too many six wheelers.

formula-one-6-wheel-cars-6491_1.jpg

Thanks for the great pictures. In I think 1967 or 8 I was 13 or 14,I raced slot cars. The track was owned by an ex-and future open wheel and stockcar racer. During the winter a few local racers from Barberton Speedway raced slotcars with us.

One saturday in the spring a driver stopped by the slottrack with his new car in tow, to try it out the first time, to see if we wanted to go with him.
The shop owner and about 3 more of us got in his car and followed him out.

This track ( it still runs sat. nites ) is a tight little 1/4 mile paved paperclip. While there another car owner showed up to try his car out before racing somewhere else the next day. To my amazement it was an Offy Roadster complete with tall skinny tires. The car was geared for the 1/2 mile track the next day, so he didn't go very fast. But everytime he left the pits I got to help push to get him going.

To this day I wish I knew who the owner and driver were, and where they were going to race.

Mark.

In 1963 USAC came through Oklahoma City to race at State Fair Speedway and they had a display the day before the races at Penn Square Mall. My Dad and I went to the mall to see the cars. One of the drivers we met was Parnelli Jones. He was the nicest guy. He let me sit in the race car. The next night we went to the races and after the show we went to the pits to visit him and he acted like we were old old friends and let me sit in the car as the crew pushed the car onto the trailer. Those are the kind of memories that you never forget!

I've looked at all of them, thats what made me ask. My wife and I have been to Tulsa in 06 for the Chile Bowl midget race. we've stopped in Oklahoma City going west a couple times, and spent 6 or 7 days in the state last fall following RT-66 with a side trip to Bartlesville.

Mark.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom