Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Old Indy Cars

although I can remember listening to the Indy 500 a few years before this, I always thought this car epitomized American open-wheel racing:
my grandfather worked for Sun Oil Company, and when Donohue won Indy, it felt like 'we' were a part of it

MarkDonohue66SUNOCOMcLaren.jpg

Classy paint with contrasting pinstriping, always kept spotless & waxed by the Penske crew, with a talented driver who is today probably under-rated for what he did:
I once saw this at at the Speedway Museum, and it still might be there

:confused

although I can remember listening to the Indy 500 a few years before this, I always thought this car epitomized American open-wheel racing:
my grandfather worked for Sun Oil Company, and when Donohue won Indy, it felt like 'we' were a part of it

MarkDonohue66SUNOCOMcLaren.jpg

Classy paint with contrasting pinstriping, always kept spotless & waxed by the Penske crew, with a talented driver who is today probably under-rated for what he did:
I once saw this at at the Speedway Museum, and it still might be there

:confused
If he worked for Sun then you really were a part of it! That's what it's all about.

I am lucky enough to live about an hour north of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Let me tell you...the museum is the best $3 you will spend to get in a car museum! And yes, I put it ahead of the NCM. There is so much history to see in there. A display that I like shows how the timing changed over the years. There are displays of regular road cars and racing cars. Upstairs you can go through the photo archives and buy pictures.

Most of the cars here are preserved in the museum and are on display. However, the cars on display do change from time to time and you will see different cars if your visits are far enough apart.

One that is always on display is the '11 Marmon Wasp piloted by Ray Harroun.

I have no idea who's headed out. I thought the banking looked a little high for Indy. Although after another look not high enough for Monza. I really like the old pics, if you have more to share keep them coming. I made it to first day qualifiing about 6 times in the eighties, along with the 1983 500, won by Sneva. We also attended 4 of the first 5 Brickyard 400s and the 1st F1 race.

Mark.

I've gone to the 500 twice and the Brickyrd once. That was all in the 80's. I used to have a next door neighbor with an airplane and if I'd pay the fuel he'd provide the plane.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom