Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: One last question on Oil !

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
I live in the far Southeast corner of Pennsylvania, New Jersey is within eyesight and Delaware border is 4 miles south on rt.95. Is there any difference between 5W/30 and or 10W/30 ? . . I'm not concerned about type or brand name manufacture, Just the oil and the temperature that around here floats @ say 15 to 35 degrees at night and the lower forties when the sun comes out. Winter here lasts about 2.5 months ?

Hib would know this ! :w

Given the same brand of oil, such as Mobil 1, and same base-stock, such as Group III, the main difference between a 5W30 and a 10W30, besides their viscosity at 32°F, is the 5W30 has more VI improvers to it has the wider viscosity range. Problem is VI improvers have no lubricity. Also, the more VI improvers, the worse the oil's performance is at high temperature–say 250°F oil temp–and high shear.

I've run 10W30 at start-up temps as low as -20°F with no difficulty, however, the engine takes just a split-second longer to built oil pressure and oil warm up takes a little longer.

In 15-35°F weather, you'll be fine with 5W30. Your engine will thank you if you decide, on some winter afternoon at the track, to run hard and you'll be better off in the summer.

Now if the weather was consistently 0°F at start up and daytime in the mid-20s, then I'd go with the 5W30.

Slippery situation

Given the same brand of oil, such as Mobil 1, and same base-stock, such as Group III, the main difference between a 5W30 and a 10W30, besides their viscosity at 32°F, is the 5W30 has more VI improvers to it has the wider viscosity range. Problem is VI improvers have no lubricity. Also, the more VI improvers, the worse the oil's performance is at high temperature–say 250°F oil temp–and high shear.

I've run 10W30 at start-up temps as low as -20°F with no difficulty, however, the engine takes just a split-second longer to built oil pressure and oil warm up takes a little longer.

In 15-35°F weather, you'll be fine with 5W30. Your engine will thank you if you decide, on some winter afternoon at the track, to run hard and you'll be better off in the summer.

Now if the weather was consistently 0°F at start up and daytime in the mid-20s, then I'd go with the 5W30.

Thank you Hib,

I have used both Mobil-1 and Royal purple 5W/30 and 10W/30 in both the LS1 and my 1990 Chevy 305 pickups V8 and My Pontiac 3800 supercharged V6 and the only real difference I can tell is that the LS1 and the 3800 is the engine is a tad quieter in cold weather like 20 to 40 degrees. My oil pressure is the same no matter what oil is used in any vehicle . So I remember you said to me that I could run 10W/30 and I thought you were speaking about a warmer weather situation but I have tried in in both cold and warm. I currently have 5W/30 in the Grand Prix 3800 V6 and Mobil-1 5W/30 in the Corvette's LS1 and I really can't tell the difference. You are the expert when it come to base stocks and that kind of tech stuff, I'm just a guy trying to provide the best protection with the service I provide the 3 engines ? Hope the new year is your best ever.

But thank You for helping me with this question ! your a real asset. :w

Last edited:
(snip) I'm just a guy trying to provide the best protection with the service I provide the 3 engines ? Hope the new year is your best ever.
Mobil 1 offers good protection but, if you want the best protection, you need to be using an ester-based synthetic oil. Some of Royal Purple's products are ester-based. All of Red Line's products are ester-based.

I use Red Line 10W30 in all my engines except the one in my Big-Block hot rod and in that I use Red Line 10W40. I recover some of the cost of an ester-based synthetic oil by going to extended drain intervals.

But thank You for helping me with this question ! your a real asset. :w
Ah shucks, "killian", 'Twern't nothin'.
'Preciate the compliment. Glad to be of service.
Happy New Year!

And to all. . .

Mobil 1 offers good protection but, if you want the best protection, you need to be using an ester-based synthetic oil. Some of Royal Purple's products are ester-based. All of Red Line's products are ester-based.

I use Red Line 10W30 in all my engines except the one in my Big-Block hot rod and in that I use Red Line 10W40. I recover some of the cost of an ester-based synthetic oil by going to extended drain intervals.

Ah shucks, "killian", 'Twern't nothin'.
'Preciate the compliment. Glad to be of service.
Happy New Year!

Thank you Hib, and may the coming year be your best ever ! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom