Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

One more question... C1 door panels

S

studiog

Having problems with stripped screws when installing my door panels to the fiberglass. What is the best way to deal with this? Also the top edge of the panel doesn't have a tight fit to the door. Is this normal?

The big parts dealers like Corvette Central ets, sell a kit for fixiing the holes. They are plates that you rivet to the door.

I made some out of sheet metal, pre drilled them rivetted them on the inside of the door and they worked great. Good luck.

oWEN

Gary the absolute best way is to grind the area and lay in some resin and fibers.

I tried nut serts in the over sized holes and they were off center.

I then used an exspencive 2 part epoxy that is mixed in a gun and they stripped out real quick. i tried to pop rivit steel plates on the door but they stuck out too far,

My last resort was to grind it,mix some resin and then brushed on the resin.dabbed 2 small peices of cloth crissed crossed ,let it dry put the grinder to it to level it off and this was the best repair so far,

I wasted alot of time trying to do something different

Thanks Owen.
Thanks Larry.
Larry how much did you grind off?

1. The kit where you pop rivet a metal square to make a new hole. If you can, rivet the metal plate to the inside the fiberglass panel/behind the hole. Won't stick out so much.

2. You can try dry wall inserts too. Those plastic things designed to hold screws in dry wall. Sometimes they work.

3. Place a wire alongside the scew in the hole. Screw the screw in with the wire alongside. Sometimes that'll give it enough bite.

critchie said:
3. Place a wire alongside the scew in the hole. Screw the screw in with the wire alongside. Sometimes that'll give it enough bite.

This one sounds very interesting... and simple.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

critchie said:
2. You can try dry wall inserts too. Those plastic things designed to hold screws in dry wall. Sometimes they work.

That's what I do. They come in various sizes. They're color coded to indicate the sizes too. Push/tap them into the hole. The panel screw will then screw into the insert. Works great.

My cars have LOTS of plastic drywall anchors in 'em. :) Chuck

c1 doors stripped holes.

I had the same problem on my 61' I took the panels off, used quick setting JB Weld and made sure I got it thourougly in and behind the holes(for a good "bite"). I let it dry completly and then, holding the panels back in place, drilled a small pilot hole in each screw hole as I went along and screwed the panel back on the doors. It has worked perfectly. Just don't over-tighten the screws. Good luck!

I used lots of the plastic drywall anchors in my '57, and where the holes were REALLY wallowed-out, I used the Corvette Central pop-riveted steel repair plates and then re-drilled the screw holes in the plates (the plates go BEHIND the fiberglass panel, not on the trim panel side, so they don't interfere with fits).

:beer

I've had some luck using short pieces of the oversize pipe cleaners you get at craft shops. I take two pieces about an inch long, bend them in half and insert the two little V pieces at right angles to each other into the hole. The fuzz tends to hold them in place and I think the twisted wire maybe gives the screw a little more bite. Worth a shot.

DZ

DZVette said:
I've had some luck using short pieces of the oversize pipe cleaners you get at craft shops. I take two pieces about an inch long, bend them in half and insert the two little V pieces at right angles to each other into the hole. The fuzz tends to hold them in place and I think the twisted wire maybe gives the screw a little more bite. Worth a shot.

DZ
That is a interesting solution. Some may discount it right away, but I just might give it a try.

If you have access to the back of the panel, make a small 3/4" square or round or oval or whatever size fiberglass patch cut from a scrap body panel.

Scuff up the backside of the door panel and bond the patch on using bondo.

Forget trying to rivet anything to the back..too much trouble for sure.

tc

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom