Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Open Air Filter Lid

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
Hello all,

I really want to cut open my air filter lid to breath a little easier.

Any suggestions on tools that I should use or just have someone do it?

I don't have tools like that at home, so I guess I'd have to rent something of some sorts.

Any suggestions?

I used a jigsaw with a metal blade on mine. Took all of 20 minutes from removal, to cuttin', to reinstall. Just keep your fingers outta the way!!!

:beer

I used a cutting/sanding disk for the drill. Just slice away, and like they said before, keep your fingers out of the way.

I cut mine inside the pop rivet holes so that I can reinstall the plastic thing if want to. (why I don't know, but as soon as I cut that extra bit off, the reason will become clear!)

I used a jigsaw with a fine metal blade. I started from the inside vents and worked my way into each corner. After sawing, I cleaned up any rough edges with a Dremal Tool. After some cleaning, light sanding and paint, the lid looks like it was made to be...

For me it was easier to just buy one from Corvette Central, than I could always change back to stock. 84 CF 91 ZR-1

Ahh the power of air tools

I used a 4" cut off wheel ( Die grinder ) 8,000 rpm .060 wheel.. it cuts thru that sheet metal like a hot knife thru butter.

20 seconds and BOOM a little small file work and back on she went.

Vig!

I guess I'll head down to the local Home Depot and see what kind of power tools they have.

Someone suggested using a router?

As you can all probably guess, I'm not a very handy person.:L

What about tin snips and a file. I just can't do it to my car. I feel some how that modifying it from stock would take away from the value. Am I crazy to think that way?

Like VettL83, I bought a new open lid and kept the original. In fact anytime I make a change I keep the original equipment just in case.;)

I do have two lids because my air filter housing unit has broken before and when I went to the Vette junk yard, he gave me the lid with the housing unit.

I just can't spend $50 on the open lid when I know that I can cut it myself, but getting the right tool to cut it is the issue.

BullWinkle said:
I guess I'll head down to the local Home Depot and see what kind of power tools they have.

Someone suggested using a router?

As you can all probably guess, I'm not a very handy person.:L

NO! NO! Not a router!
Jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade is pretty mandatory, add a Dremel tool if you just feel the need to buy tools; otherwise use a file to knock off the sharp edges that WILL snag you.
Take your time, wear leather gloves, ear plugs to stop that awful screeching noise, safety glasses if you value the concept of binocular vision.
Have fun!
- Robert

You can buy either the pre-cut open lid from Mid-America for $60.00 OR buy the Stock replacement for $40.00 and cut that open. Either way, you'll still have the original that came with your car in case you want to put it back on someday.

Or check eBay. I got an entire intake setup (open and closed lids, K&N filter, and the housing to the MAF) for $60 from someone who'd upgraded to a cone setup. Then I sold the pieces I didn't need. I think my open lid wound up costing me about $15.
[RICHR]

I used a dremal tool with the small diegrinder blades...took all of 15 minutes. A bit of filing...and a shot of black paint and job done. Not only can you feel a bit of difference....you can hear it as well...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom