Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Open the Hood on 1984

T

TumZ

A friend's husband has just past away and thier 1984 'Vette will not start so I need to jump it. I am trying to pop the hood but i pulled the lever under the dash on the left and nothing happens. Either it's the wrong lever or there is something else to do. Anyone know how to pop the hood? Remeber, the battery is dead and if it's an electronic release then i need to know an alternative as well.

The hood wont actually "pop"
up,,,did ya try lifting it after ya pulled the release?

Sounds like you have a busted cable....First try picking up on the hood while someone pulls the lever. Second, try pushing down, then pulling the handle. If all else fails you need to buy or make a special tool to get it open. I will try to locate the dementions you will need for the tool. Their is nothing electrical.

lol, jonm, I just had someone hold the release open and i was able to open, thanks guys

Before you close it again, make sure you lubricate the hood latches. Use white lithium grease (available at Wal-Mart or auto parts stores).
[RICHR]

The lube did not help me. I think the gas pusher shocks are gone. There are two, mid forward.

Oops! Thanks.

<<later>> I adjusted the catches and it pops a lot better now. I applied new grease to the 'poker' part of the latches and looked where the grease was rubbed off when it just touched the catch. I refreshed the grease with each closure. With all bolts loose on the plate, it was easy to tap each into the proper place.

Bear in mind, my hood was off the car for 3 years during my project.

:w

On mine (86) the pusher shocks *only* help keep the hood open once it's up. I had to replace mine when I bought the car but I still had no problem opening the hood.

If anyone wants the shape/dimension/instructions for the tool to open a hood with broken cables, let me know. I bought one from Gordon Killebrew (great guy!) at Carlisle and I can trace it out with size markings and scan that in.

[RICHR]

It's the springs that POP the hood

make sure the hood catch pins are well oiled!

Vig!

While you're in there........make sure u have proper tension on the cables. They are the white hexoganal plastic pieces attached to the receivers (where the hood pins and springs go in). Have someone pull the lever to verify as you see if there is any slack since over the years they tend to stretch. To adjust ....rotate the nut to tighten(righty tighty).

The shocks are only meant to assist raising the hood. The ones sold at NAPA are super cheap $15 pair compared to the $50 most vette catalogs will charge U and a VERY easy to replace!

If you still have problems (as we did) in opening the hood....the real problem may be a misalignment of the Pins/spring assembly on the hood that cause binding. They are held by 3 hex headed bolts. Loosen all 3 just a little and close the hood. open it and tighten. We were amazed that the hood SPRUNG right up the way it should!!

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom