Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

opening window

vuk8691

Corvette
1995, C4, coupe
Hi!
I've got c4 1995. Yesterday, when I tried to open passinger's window, nothing happens!
Driver's window works normally.
What could be a problem?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

Open window

My '95 does the same thing (passenger window won't open some times).
The switch in the passenger door is erratic - sometimes works but sometimes doesn't. The driver's switch for the passenger door window always works so the defect is the switch in the passenger door. Pushing in on the passenger door switch as well as up or down usually makes it work OK.
If neither of your switches works, the problem is likely the motor. They are really difficult to replace and cost about $100 US. Driver and passenger motors are different.
The difficulty in replacing the window motor for that year is that the motor is riveted in and the rivets must be drilled out. The bolts of the correct size can hold in the new motor. There are 3 rivets and they are very difficult to reach. Disconnecting the motor from the 'regulator' (the linkage that connects the motor to the window) while supporting the window with a block of wood will allow you to move the window up and down to get clearance for rivet removal and bolt installation.
Older Corvettes used a drive tape which often broke. I believe the '95 uses a gear driven motor (no tape). It has a built-in circuit breaker that often fails open-circuit. It's necessary to destroy the motor to access the circuit breaker -- a very poor design.
Hope this helps

Something similar to this happened to me a few years ago with my 92.

I got it working again by pushing and pulling on the window while I worked the switch. It was like the motor contacts were dirty and refusing to spin the motor. I also took the door panel off and sprayed contact cleaner on the motor. It was still working when I sold it last year.

I never used the passenger window much so it probably just got dirty and refused to move until I could get it moving. The switch and wiring checked okay.

Window lowering

I checked the service manual and discovered that the motor comes out with the regulator on a '95. And it's a direct drive system with no tape.
As others suggested, check electircal connections first (especially if you can measure whether there is voltaged getting to the motor) since removing the regulator is a big job. Hope you don't have to remove it.
If you do, the book says to remove the door panel, remove the glass, then lower the regulator 3/4 of the way done (difficult to do if the motor won't run), unbolt the regulator (two bolts at top and two at bottom), then remove it by rotating the assembly clockwise/anticlockwise to 'snake' it out the top. The motor/gear is a worm drive and cannot be rotated by twisting the output gear. If you can access the motor shaft, you can turn it easily but it requires a lot of turns.
If you do have to remove the glass & regulator be sure to scribe mark the locations of brackets, screws, etc. because that will make realigning easier.
Like the other guys said, first check the electrical connections - especially confirming that there's voltage getting to the motor connector when the switch is pushed with the key on - before removing the motor/regulator.
Good luck & welcome to a great forum.

Yesterday, I tried open window one more time and it works. It looks like that the problem is in the connectors.

Thank you all guys!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom