Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opti-Spark

ToneTone

Corvette
1996 Silver Coupe CE
Has anyone replaced their stock Opti-Spark with a Accel Opti-Spark Distributor Unit??? If so, how do you like it??????? It seems to be priced a lot less than its competitor MSD. Thanks for any info you can give!!!!!!:bash

Has anyone replaced their stock Opti-Spark with a Accel Opti-Spark Distributor Unit??? If so, how do you like it??????? It seems to be priced a lot less than its competitor MSD. Thanks for any info you can give!!!!!!:bash
I replaced my OEM opti (water pump took it out) with Accel-- within 1500
-2000 miles it left me stranded. There are 2 small screws which hold the rotor and also keep the opti trigger wheel in place. One screw was crossthreaded--the other worked loose and allowed the trigger wheel to destroy the optical decoder. I repaced it with Delphi(OEM) and made sure the rotor screws were loctited in place. :beer

There is an episode of "Two Guys Garage" if you can find it where the boys replaced an opti-spark not sure if it was in a C4. maybe in a C3?

Opti spark distributors were only installed on the gen 2 small block chevy's. Also known as the LT1/LT4. For the record, mine is the original unit. 125k miles and still going strong. I did replace the cap and rotor with upgraded msd parts, which includes a vent hose to rid the unit of moisture. I talked with a local speed shop tuner who seems to know his stuff. I asked about replacing the stock opti unit with msd's billet opti spark unit. Not necessary he told me. The stock unit is capable of delivering the spark to over 7k rpm's. More than anything I'll ever see on my street driver. Save your bucks, replace your water pump if it leaks, and use a vented cap on the earlier model units.

-2000 miles it left me stranded. There are 2 small screws which hold the rotor and also keep the opti trigger wheel in place. One screw was crossthreaded--the other worked loose and allowed the trigger wheel to destroy the optical decoder. I repaced it with Delphi(OEM) and made sure the rotor screws were loctited in place. :beer

They fixed that problems several years ago, I had one for 40k miles and no problem till I broke the cap trying to replace the WP.
It looked real good inside, I put sealant all around and put a drain tube into the WP weep hole, then I turn and drop the pump onto the opti.

Opti spark distributors were only installed on the gen 2 small block chevy's. Also known as the LT1/LT4. For the record, mine is the original unit. 125k miles and still going strong. I did replace the cap and rotor with upgraded msd parts, which includes a vent hose to rid the unit of moisture. I talked with a local speed shop tuner who seems to know his stuff. I asked about replacing the stock opti unit with msd's billet opti spark unit. Not necessary he told me. The stock unit is capable of delivering the spark to over 7k rpm's. More than anything I'll ever see on my street driver. Save your bucks, replace your water pump if it leaks, and use a vented cap on the earlier model units.

My original opti went out at 185k if memory serves.... I think they have gotten a bad rap, though chevy didn't help the situation by placing it UNDER a water source.....

Years ago Corvette Fever magazine did a How-to article on curing the Optispark of moisture problems. Here's the link to that article.

Opti-Spark Options
Thanks for the info. According to that article the problem with the Opti-Spark was corrected for the 95/96 models. Good to know!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the link!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking your time to answer!!!!

Great information. Sounds like the OEM Opti is good enough for anything street users will need!!!!!!

If you go to my CarDomain webpage, on page 2, there are pictures of my vented Opti-Spark. I read the article on the web, as referenced above, but did not like the way the 3 vents came out at the bottom of the Opti. There is hardly any clearance between the 3 vents and the harmonic balancer.

As a matter of fact, after modifying mine, as per that web article, when going to put the Opti-Spark back on, I broke off one of the 3 vents. After that, I JB welded the three bottom holes and drilled one into the side, similar to the OE vent location, as in the pictures. I have had "my" vented Opti on since March of this year and it has been running great.

CG

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3800761/2

If you go to my CarDomain webpage, on page 2, there are pictures of my vented Opti-Spark. I read the article on the web, as referenced above, but did not like the way the 3 vents came out at the bottom of the Opti. There is hardly any clearance between the 3 vents and the harmonic balancer.

As a matter of fact, after modifying mine, as per that web article, when going to put the Opti-Spark back on, I broke off one of the 3 vents. After that, I JB welded the three bottom holes and drilled one into the side, similar to the OE vent location, as in the pictures. I have had "my" vented Opti on since March of this year and it has been running great.

CG

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3800761/2
Thanks for the great information and link. What a super idea!!!!!!!

The poor old Opti is not as bad as most people believe. How many caps and rotors on a standard distributer can last 200,000 miles. The problem is when they fail, it is a catastrophic, you're stopped right now, call the tow truck kinda failure. Many failures are caused by the water pump leaking out the weep hole and getting the Opti wet.

Before I changed to the Maziere electric pump I did a little trick that should be standard with every water pump. After you get your new pump, drill and tap the weep hole for a miniature barbed fitting and push a piece of clear hose over it. Route the hose away from the opti and if it ever leaks again the water will fall to the ground instead of on the HIGH VOLTAGE.

The rotor can "blow up" at 7200 RPM and it makes a mess of the opti. This is a fact and not a rumor.:D High RPM guys should find another way.

Before I changed to the Maziere electric pump I did a little trick that should be standard with every water pump. After you get your new pump, drill and tap the weep hole for a miniature barbed fitting and push a piece of clear hose over it. Route the hose away from the opti and if it ever leaks again the water will fall to the ground instead of on the HIGH VOLTAGE.

NOW THAT IS A GOOD IDEA!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom