Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

optispark replacement

gkurtz

Corvette
92 Bright Red Convertable
I wanted to know how difficult it is to change the omnispark ignition in my 92 vette.

gkurtz said:
I wanted to know how difficult it is to change the omnispark ignition in my 92 vette.
It's actually called an Optispark. There are many threads on the forum about its issues, failures and how to go about replacement. You can do a search on it to get more information.
But a few of us have recently done this, and it’s not all that hard if you have good place perform the swap and the correct tools available. Mostly just requires time and patience. Shouldn’t take more than a few hours.

Bob

It can be horrible though, depending if things are seized etc.

On my '93, the crank pully was stuck onto the hub. I tried everything i could at home, and had zero luck with it. I would up having to tow the car into a mechanic to have him finish the job. Sometimes all it takes is better equipment (i.e. a lift) to make things easy enought to get the job done. I don't think i will ever do the job myself again.... if (err, when) my opti goes, i am going with one of the upgraded systems to replace the whole dang thing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom