Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Orange Peel

Corvette
87 Callaway Cpe 87-070 & 68 Cpe 427, 4spd A/C
[h=2]Orange Peel[/h]
I picked up my new car last night and have to say that I am very disappointed in the quality of the paint job. The whole car is "orange peel" and not minor, but heavy. :ugh

There is also a blemish on the door that I will live with and just consider it a "birthmark" :eyerole There is no way this car went through a quality inspection. The GM at the dealership agree's with me 100% and will make it right.

Other than that I love it, fun car!

Glad to hear you are loving the new Stingray but what a shame to hear the QC is falling down... :(

Mac

Sorry to hear about the paint. The Vettes have been suffering from orange peal forever. My 84 was so bad that I had an unusual experience with a body shop. I was sideswiped on a street and needed a side replaced, but no structural damage. The body shop could not match the OEM orange peel to save their soul. I had to take it to a great Corvette restoration expert who had 30 years experience matching bad paint jobs. Ain't that a crock.:rotfl

I hope they do something to correct your paint.

mfg date

finally a production date :happyanim:
22 oct 13 :beer
the nice lady at the musuem that gave me the happy date
and Kelly J. Chevrolet Customer Care for the info.:happyanim::thanks:

I looked at a blue C7 at my local dealer this afternoon and the paint was PERFECT!! I wish my 2010 Grand Sport were that good!! This must be an isolated problem, also as my memory serves me, the C7s at Funfest were perfect as well.

I dropped the car off at the dealer last Thurs, it is now Tues and the car has not been touched. Apparently, GM has to have a warranty rep look at the car to authorize buffing it out? Now I question if should be after being cautioned bt several detailers that there may not be enough clear on the car to get it out. Now what? :ugh

OK, now I am pissed. My car has been at the dealership for a week and the GM warranty rep say's my paint job is acceptable. Even the GM at the dealership agree's 100% that it is unacceptable and wouldn't want one himself that looks that bad. I'm sorry new C7 or not. Thay have built a great car, but can't seem to figure out how to paint one.

This may be goodbye Stingray, I have lost my exitement and no longer proud to own this car. :mad

You have every right to be angry. Seems like the old GM that proclaimed that "it's good enough." I wouldn't settle for "good enough."

Paint and Orange peel

Tells me don't order one. Find one you want and go look at it! Rushing them thru.

I don't get it....quality control is supposed to be job 1 for the C7.......I'm thinking you should not have accepted the car until they made it right. PM Kelly the Chevy rep who hangs out here and see what she can get done.......I would just take it back and tell them to forget it, you want out of it or you want it fixed or you want a different car. How about some pics? The dealer nor Chevy really want any bad press on this car so you have some leverage......

I don't get it....quality control is supposed to be job 1 for the C7.......I'm thinking you should not have accepted the car until they made it right. PM Kelly the Chevy rep who hangs out here and see what she can get done.......I would just take it back and tell them to forget it, you want out of it or you want it fixed or you want a different car. How about some pics? The dealer nor Chevy really want any bad press on this car so you have some leverage......

I would like them to make the car right, but I don't know if they can. If they can't then they should take the car back :eyerole No matter how you look at it, it sucks. I know it is not going to be just me, it seems to be a rampent problem that they better get their arms around. Seems like the metalic colors are better that the solids though.

I have started the process to run it up the ladder and customer service seems concerned as well they should. :beer

It's hard to understand why the Vette has suffered from orange peel for decades when other models paint is excellent. Both my Volt and Equinox were delivered with near perfect paint. The worse orange peel I ever saw on a car was MY 84 C4. The entire car rippled. That's 30 years of bad paint - but evidently good enough for Corvette standards.

It's a shame - really.

Chris, there is a Chevy Customer Service Rep who frequents the CAC. Perhaps you can send her a PM and ask her to follow up with GM over this?

View Profile: Chevy Customer Service - Corvette Action Center

Mac

Mac, there is already a case started and Kelly is well aware of it. The issue is being addressed but at this point there is no resolve. I think they are being very careful as this may be just the tip of the iceberg so to speak. :eyerole

Orange Peel Paint

After reading your paint woes, I find it interesting that they are shutting down production the week of October 20 through October 27 due to undisclosed production problems.......I wonder if this could be one of them. I was scheduled to take the Bowling Green Assembly Plant Tour on Monday October 21st only to find out all tours scheduled that week are cancelled due to the shut down. Along with being the first kid on the block with the latest Vette comes the 1st year gremlins. I'll wait for at least a year before I get serious about one and enjoy my C-6 ZO6 until then.

My car has now been at the dealership more days than it has been in my garage. I have started a case with customers service and called on it today and was told it has been escalated and couldn't discuss it with me.
I was then transferred to the escalation dept and left a voicemail. I have had a local paint shop look at the car and he said "no way, I'm not touching it" NickJ has referred a detailer in the Valley,

Spoke with the GM at the dealership this morning and he indicated someone from GM came and looked at the car on Fri and told him they are all like that! Yep, he has delivered four so far and indeed thay all have crappy paint.
One customer had his car buffed even though he was told there would be negative long term paint problems. He didn't care because he is only keeking the car a year or two.

I bought a new 12 Silverado that has tranny problems that GM acknowledges but says "thats the way it is" Now the touted C7 has bad paint. Sorry GM I am tired settling on the $100k I have spent with you in the past year.

As I left the dealership I sat at the stop light next to a new Hyundai that was bright red and it had a perfect paint job with no orange peel. But it does seem like I am the minority as I have not heard anyone else on this forum publicly complain about their paint.. Just sayin

I told the dealer I would come get my car tomorrow.

Chris​

I wouldn't pick it up until you are happy with the resolution even if that means another car and they can keep that one....I say again Chevy does not want bad press on this car or any of their cars or trucks so you can lean on them to make it right. The internet forums can do a lot of damage if things do not get resolved to your satisfaction.....and they need to fix your truck also...

Last edited:
"They're all like that" is not a wild card GM should be allowed to play. I'd make it my life's work to make GM sorry they blew me off, starting with Channel 12 Call for Action. Let's see what Rick Debruhl can do to lite a fire under GM. GM's $70K halo car shouldn't be delivered with an Earl Scheib paint job. Car & Driver would also like to know about a systemic issue with the new Vette, and their new state of the art paint shop in BG. Tell the dealer what you are going to do. He'll pass it on - even if he says he won't.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom