Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Orange Peel

Finally, After a week I spoke with Andrea from GM Customer Assistance.........

There are two options on the table currently

A) Complete color sand and refinish - if feasable
B) New Car

Will see :ugh
Before I say anything further, let me take this moment to say to everyone, including myself, who were complaining that it sounds like GM is stepping up. It could have come easier and more quickly but the fact remains they are dealing with this appropriately. Kudos to GM Customer Assistance!!

Option A: Colour sand and refinish sounds attractive so long as they warranty the workmanship. You don't want to have issues a year from now and have the dealership say "Well, you were the one...."

Option B: Is there a way to reassure the new car will be clear of orange peel?

Mac

Finally, After a week I spoke with Andrea from GM Customer Assistance.........

There are two options on the table currently

A) Complete color sand and refinish - if feasable
B) New Car

Will see :ugh

Option "A" will always be a compromise.

Option "B" is the only way to settle it properly.

If I were GM I would want the vehicle back to verify the issue and find out EXACTLY what went wrong on the assembly line, and more importantly: How the hell did such a poor paint job get past Quality Control and sent out to the buyer in the first place? Hopefully they chose "B".

I sure hope happens! It would have been nice if the options were put on the table a couple weeks ago. Look at all the ill will GM could have averted. I just don't understand why the first answer to a customer complaint is NO. We aren't the bad guys, we are the reason all those guys have jobs. Imagine the number of folks on this and other forums and multiply by how many Vettes we have purchased, and then imagine the good and bad will that can be happen here.

Maybe GM gets it after all.

Ya......what LLC5 said......you can't pay that kind of money and have the paint bad.....their paint jobs need to be flawless......and they can't let junk out the door......

I agree with you..

I stopped by my Chevy dealership last night to chat with my salesman, in San Diego and saw a couple take delivery of her torch red C7. The entire passeger front fender was orange peel.
Mine should be arriving shortly, not sure what I would do with that delima

Like the general opinion of this tread....I know I could not except something of that cost that isn't just the way I want it......like I said before, the paint needs to be damn near perfect....

Any updates, Chris?

Mac

Any updates, Chris?

Mac

Mac, I think I have been very patient with Andrea from GM Customer Service. She called me on Monday to say she spoke with the dealer and they confirmed my situation (DUH!) then she said she was going to speak with the district person and get back to me today. It's 3:00 AZ time and she is in Detroit. Maybe she will call the 1st of the week. This whole situation is very disapointing. :eyerole

Aw...don't get discouraged...big wheels turn slow but I am thinking on something this big it will take the right people to get involved to get it done right. I went through the same back and forth on my GS put the thing will ultimatly be resolved in my favor.

Mac, I think I have been very patient with Andrea from GM Customer Service. She called me on Monday to say she spoke with the dealer and they confirmed my situation (DUH!) then she said she was going to speak with the district person and get back to me today. It's 3:00 AZ time and she is in Detroit. Maybe she will call the 1st of the week. This whole situation is very disapointing. :eyerole

I think it may be time to contact your dealer and request to meet with the District Service Manager in your area. If you can get in contact with the DSM I am sure that he will clear up any questions that you have. Good luck as always. :)

It has now been another week, Andrea from Chevrolet customer assistance said she would call me last week and did not. We are coming up on a month with nothing more than double talk. She is stating she needs to speak with the District Service Mgr. I thought that was who looked at the car in the first place and made the statement they are all like that.

Anyway, with all the chatter going on on the different sites this is a huge problem. Some worse than others but it seems that GM's position is becomming accurate as more C7's are hitting the street. They can't figure out how to paint a car with the new paint products they are required to use and are stating because they can't figure it out, it's normal? or acceptable? Not in my opinion. GM is doing a very good job of driving me and others away from their product.

:w Chris,

I would be at a point, if this were happening to me, that I would be drafting letters to magazines e.g.
Corvette; Corvette Enthusiast; Corvette Fever; Vette Vues; Corvette Quarterly and even a few others e.g. Road & Track; Motor Trend, even Auto Week with a copy of each letter sent to GM & the Corvette Plant Manager.... :mad

I would mention EVERYONE you have talked to and WHAT they are suppose to be representing... GM Quality Control, District/Zone Reps... etc.

I only have so much patience before my patience turns into a full blown RAGE of ANGER... :D

I wish luck with your VERY EXPENSIVE GM CORVETTE and getting some positive results instead of what you are receiving presently :mad

I have owned several NEW Corvettes, the '84 had paint (orange peel) issue's and the '93 had computer issues, and turned into a BMW 740iL...

Bud

OK, here we are on November 7th. I took delivery of my car on October 9th. This has been a very frustrating process but I do understand that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Today I took my vehicle to a 3rd expert who didn't take long to draw an opinion "this car has issues" This was the Body Shop Mgr. at Sands Chevrolet. He left a message for the District Warrant Rep and I had a return phone call within an hour. The Distric Warranty Rep would like me to take the car to a specific dealership in town that he feels is the best equipted to deal with this situation. He offered two solutions as were originally presented by Andrea at GM Customer Service.

A) Prep and color sand the car as needed if the painter feels he can provide a end result that I would be happy with.

B) GM will buy my car back

:happyanim:

OK, here we are on November 7th. I took delivery of my car on October 9th. This has been a very frustrating process but I do understand that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Today I took my vehicle to a 3rd expert who didn't take long to draw an opinion "this car has issues" This was the Body Shop Mgr. at Sands Chevrolet. He left a message for the District Warrant Rep and I had a return phone call within an hour. The Distric Warranty Rep would like me to take the car to a specific dealership in town that he feels is the best equipted to deal with this situation. He offered two solutions as were originally presented by Andrea at GM Customer Service.

A) Prep and color sand the car as needed if the painter feels he can provide a end result that I would be happy with.

I hope it all works out for you Chris... Remember Chevy wants NEW Buyers to "BOND" with their cars....

Bud

That sounds fair to me......we will be waiting to hear what your decision will be.......good luck with it!

That sounds fair to me......we will be waiting to hear what your decision will be.......good luck with it!

Both options have their potential draw backs. working on the paint :ugh I do love my car though

Re-Ordering a different car, Same color/different color - what if the same thing happens again :ugh

3rd option, I don't get a new one, I do something else?

:beer

Both options have their potential draw backs. working on the paint :ugh I do love my car though

Re-Ordering a different car, Same color/different color - what if the same thing happens again :ugh

3rd option, I don't get a new one, I do something else?

:beer

I am so very sorry for the situation you are in right now! :ugh

I would not want to make that choice either. I am glad that there are options to chose from.

Please keep us updated.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

What EXACTLY is: A) "Prep and Color Sanding"? It sounds to me like someone would be just covering up the problem and not fixing it, but I could be wrong.

Did they explain in detail exactly what that entails? Good luck.

Last edited:
Hendrick of Cary NC had a Laguna Blue with a bad paint job. It was their display car. The front fenders looked like the paint was applied with a roller.
It was at our local Cars and Coffee last Saturday and had a regular license plate on it - so it probably sold. :ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom