Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ordered new garage this weekend

Heavy Duty said:
Now John.....you should know by now that interrupting a female who is stuffing her face is next to trying to take the food away from a hungry dog:L. Very risky business;LOL.

If there was a Dodge pickup there it is the same lady. I think sometimes she rides her Harley into work during the spring and summer.

:D
H.D.

Definitely a different woman H.D.. Unless that bike has a gantry to pick & place her on and off the seat!:L -John

JJS said:
I just checked with the local zoning board about the possibility of putting a garage on my property. I can definitely do it, but the max square footage is 800 ft, with a 15' max height. So, if we don't get a house that we've been looking at, the garage goes up next spring!
Well, Spring is definitely here in central MA, but I never did get to build that garage. We were offered first shot at the house across the street, a house we've always wanted and it already has a garage. The garage was added on to the house about 10 years ago, and it's still in really nice shape, and it's perfect for my needs.

We close on the house this coming Friday and I already have the garage floor so clean you could eat off it. I bought an 18X7.5 "clean park garage floor" mat from Mid-America to keep the floor stain free, but I'd like to do something more to make the floor look really nice.

I looked into Race-deck garage floors, but they want over $1k w/shipping, and I just can't justify spending that kind of cash right now. I also looked into "UCoat it" epoxy flooring which looks really nice, but that would cost over $500.00 to do this garage. I guess it would be easier to justify the $500 right now, so I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this stuff. If so, any peeling issues? Thanks in advance,

-John

JJS said:
Well, Spring is definitely here in central MA, but I never did get to build that garage. We were offered first shot at the house across the street, a house we've always wanted and it already has a garage. The garage was added on to the house about 10 years ago, and it's still in really nice shape, and it's perfect for my needs.

We close on the house this coming Friday and I already have the garage floor so clean you could eat off it. I bought an 18X7.5 "clean park garage floor" mat from Mid-America to keep the floor stain free, but I'd like to do something more to make the floor look really nice.

I looked into Race-deck garage floors, but they want over $1k w/shipping, and I just can't justify spending that kind of cash right now. I also looked into "UCoat it" epoxy flooring which looks really nice, but that would cost over $500.00 to do this garage. I guess it would be easier to justify the $500 right now, so I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this stuff. If so, any peeling issues? Thanks in advance,

-John

Wazz-up John. Talking to you from the sunny south.

don't know about the "UCoat it" epoxy. I used the epoxy from Bear(sp) paints that I picked up from Home Depo. I put mine down last summer after the new concrete set up for about 90 days and so far it is holding up every well. I do have a few spots were the front tires on my 1 ton truck took the paint off. So what I have done is put down some old sheets of plyboard I had laying around and stopped that problem. We don't have the winters here like the Great North. So I am not sure how well the stuff would hold up with really cold temps. I do need to put down a second coat and i'll most likely do that this summer. If you intend to use the epoxy I'd gett-er done soon. It takes about 48 hours to dry and about 30 days for the stuff to setup before you can drive your car on it. Also, since the concrete in your garage has been down for 10 years you will have to use a chemical to etch the concrete so the epoxy bonds to the concrete.

I've been working on my garage since I got home this past Sat. The guys came today and ran the under ground power cable from the road to the garage. So it won't be long now till I've got mine powered up. Tomorrow the shop lights go up. Got 8, 4 footers so it should light up well. Went on a spending spree yesterday. This place called Agri Suppy was running a sell on the big up-right air compressors (60 galloin tank) from Porta-Tool. So I've made my first major purchase for the garage. Plus got some other goodies.

Hey if you want I'll take some pics of the floor and you can see what the paint looks like one year and counting.

H.D.

HD, lets see your pics. I'm still thinking of doing the epoxy on the floor. Replaced a trailing arm on my stingray and have lots of brake fluid stains on the floor :(

Jeremy

H.D.
Thanks for sharing that info with me. After reading your response I've decided to just use the "clean park" garage mat I bought this year, and go with the Race-deck floor next year. I pick up the vette next Friday, so I certainly don't have 30 days to wait for the floor to cure.

Hey, it sounds like your garage is really starting to come along. You should have very good lighting in there once all the electricals are in place. Congrats, and keep me posted on events around here when you get back. Also, It won't be long before I take the boat out so you'll have to pick up your fishing license for the year! -John

JJS,
I know what you mean. Lucky for me I had the Z up North with me and the C4 was being painted. So the timeing worked out. I probably should think about a second coat this summer some time. Thing is though every time I come home more stuff keeps appearing in the garage:eyerole.

I'm reconsidering the lights. CJ5nutzturned turned me onto some really good lights. So if these don't work out I'll get what he suggested.

Fishing! Did you say you are about to get the boat out?:D I'll be back late Sat. night. So Sunday I'll head out to Wally World and get my license.

As far as painting the floor, i'd do it now before you get a lot of stuff in there. If you wife is like mine she the garage will soon become here collecting point for all sorts of stuff. You might ask Ron to keep the vette for you for another 30 days or so. Sure will save a lot of back work later. Heck I'll come over and give you a hand.

Hey Ruby...I got the pics but i won't be able to load them up until Sunday when I get back to the great North. I don't have the Kodac down load files yet on this computer. I had to sneak a pic of the new air compressor in.

The lawnmower was the reason I stepped up the painting schedule. It left a nice little puddle of oil on my new concrete. I had to scrub the dickens out of it before I painted and it still bled through the epoxy a little. The epoxy paint sure makes cleaning up a lot easier too. John, I got some pics of the floor. THe good and the bad. The bad spots are where the front tires of the truck took the paint off. That is the reason I now put the plyboard down. Looks kind-a tacky but it does the job.

The elec. guys were here today to wire the building. So now it is ready for the rough-in inspection. Once that is done they can put the lights and such up and then get the last inspection so power can be turned on. The down side is the Z had to sit out side all day in the sun. The elec. guys couldn't understand the reasoning for having 200 amp service. After I told them what I had in mind they agreed:).

I'm putting my weather vane up tomorrow. Gotta be able to tell which way the wind in blowing so I'll know if it is safe to take the vette out for a cruse.
It is a work in progress but I hope to have it done by the end of this summer. Then I can work on a little landscaping to make it look nice on the outside. That means playing with the tractor:D.

H.D.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom