Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Ordering a New Grand Sport

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

AlHewitt

Corvette
1996 LT4 CE Z51 - 2010 LT3 GS
Talking to a dealer today about ordering a 2010 GS. He is quoting me 20 weeks lead time after I place the order! Today is March 27th and that means delivery would be August 13th. Help me understand this; doesn't Bowling Green shut down about June to retool for the new models? Is this guy blowing smoke or is Corvette really running at 20 weeks?
Thanks...Al

That makes sense when you have union government employees building cars.

I'd check with MacMulkin They are a forum dealer.Ask for museum delivery or drop ship .I think you'll find 'em straight up both on price and delivery.

That makes sense when you have union government employees building cars.

Since when do the union employees at Bowling Green have any say on plant scheldules ? Management and GM management alone make the rules for weekly building of Corvettes. Stop pointing the finger at the workers at GM plants for GM and all there mismanagement problems.

Since when do the union employees at Bowling Green have any say on plant scheldules ? Management and GM management alone make the rules for weekly building of Corvettes. Stop pointing the finger at the workers at GM plants for GM and all there mismanagement problems.

:wManagement is government too!!!:boogie
The worker is caught in a squeeze play!
IMHO - seems to me that the govt is doing its best to kill off any "luxury" US brands. What they want is a non polluting mini car. Albeit at a high price.
I certainly have not seen a Corvette ad in years.
Once they said it was because they sold every one produced, now what's the excuse?? Of course it's cost savings.

I apologies for the spelling of ordering... My fat fingers!

Yesterday I ordered a 2010 Grand Sport after much deliberation with my self. Justifying a new Corvette in these economics times... some would question my judgment - but when it comes to Corvettes I can justify just about anything. The wife is another story. I did not tell her about my madness until today and as the dealer says it is 9 to 12 weeks before delivery can be expected, I have some time to make her happy. Unfortunately a new kitchen is in her sights so it is looking as the new Vette will be the financially easy compared to the up-coming remodel.

I have not driven a GS with the LS3 engine; I have only seen the videos and read the article in magazines. At 436HP this will be more HP than anything I have owned - only my 94 ZR1 at 405HP that I just sold is close to the 2010 base engine. I also have a 96 CE LT4 Z51 coupe that I have considered selling but after the disappointing offers at something in the neighborhood of 1/3 the original selling price I have decided to keep it. Truth is I need a driver and the LT4 is my first choice with its stellar torque and great drivability characteristics. The LT5 in the ZR1 is a monster with RPM capability into the 7000 range. Select the go-fast switch (dual injection key) and hang on above 3500 RPMs. The LT4 is another story. The push-rod motor is a high torque engine with superb drivability. The best I have ever experienced and hopefully the LS3 in the GS will measure up the LT4s standards. With 436 HP at 6000+RPM one would hope not to be disappointed.

I'll report as to what I like and do not like about the C6. I know I'll miss the wonderful hood as found on the C4's. I know I will not miss the frame rail I climb over when entering or departing the C4. For now I’m keeping the LT4… Al

Reply w/ Quote |

Al, I don't think you will be disappointed. Just getting in and out will be worth the price of admission. I know all too well. I still have my 1990 ZR1. I had to drive it for a month recently when my 07 Z06 was damaged by a lady in a Toyota. I do miss the 70 ponies that the Z06 had over my Grand Sport. I will rectify that as soon as my savings account recovers from trading the Z06.

Al, I don't think you will be disappointed. Just getting in and out will be worth the price of admission. I know all too well. I still have my 1990 ZR1. I had to drive it for a month recently when my 07 Z06 was damaged by a lady in a Toyota. I do miss the 70 ponies that the Z06 had over my Grand Sport. I will rectify that as soon as my savings account recovers from trading the Z06.

Getting more HP out of the LS3, what would you do? Exhaust, intake, cam??? The machine has 376 cubes with a trick crank and hand built so I don't think touching the lower end is in my cards. Forced induction is of interest as a friend has an LS2 with twin turbos and it does something llike 520 RWHP. If forced industion is an option I believe I would perfer a supercharger over the turbo. Just me... I think I'll drive it a while and see where it leads me... Stay tuned... Al

I've been considering a supercharger. Twin turbos are my second option. there is a setup I saw on Gearz that looks pretty trick. All the plumbing goes throuh the rockers and the turbos are mounted in place of the mufflers.

AL - My 1st Vette was a Torch Red LT4, they're great hot rods!

1996TRZ516-SpdLT4ndaSmokyMountains.jpg

1996TRZ516-SpdLT4ndaSmokyMountains.jpg

Beautiful 96 LT4, I like the badges very nice touch. I had Red one just like this and it ruined me. After experiencing the LT4 engine my ZR1 was a disappointment - until 3000+ RPM...
The weather is starting to get better here in Seattle and today I saw a C5 on the road. It was black and as I approached it from behind I rolled down the passenger window, the sound of the engine could be heard... Music. Some old guy driving it - you know gray beard, like me and probably most of us - I guess.
Let's start something here. I'll tell you what I like about Corvettes, as if you need to know this. Maybe someone else will weigh in with what they like about these cars. I'll bet there are 50 guys out there lurking who have an opinion about Corvettes, let's hear what rings your bell guys, just a one liner, no ones is judging these responses just collecting input as what make these the cars that we love...
Here is mine;
Look at the back of your C4 or for that matter any Vette. See the 4 individual tail lights; they are recessed into the body. Now look at all of the roller-skates on the road. They all have wrap-a-round tail lights so they can be seen from the sides. The Corvette has individual side lights for position marking and not for signaling. What a distinguishing difference. C4's have rectangular tail lights, C5 have oval and the C6s are round. Looking at Corvette tail lights is like looking at girl’s rear ends, all of us do it...
Cheers.
Al

Al~

Regarding the differences between the C4s you have and your upcoming C6, here it is in one word: REFINEMENT.
You will soon discover just how "unrefined" the C4 is when compared to the C6.
Don't bother comparing the LS2 vs. LS3 as they have completely different head flow characteristics.
The LS 2 heads have "church" shaped ports. They can be cleaned up but they still won't flow anything like the stock LS3 rectangular shaped ports.
This is the reason why the LS3 REALLY responds to CAI and exhaust flow modifications. The LS3 heads mimic the LS7 heads. This should tell you something.
Wait until you get your car before you think about mods. The car is already going to be significantly faster than anything you've owned previously. It won't seem faster because of it's refinement and balance, but it is.
Another thing: If your dealership is saying you can't get a car built before August, then it's a 2011MY car.(BTW Al, they're lying.) Are you taking option R8C? I'm seeing GS cars for $5-$7000 off MSRP, BTW.

I always wanted to take the tour myself.:thumb

Well I’m really pumped about this. Thanks for the info on the LS3 heads. I know this engine is special and I’ll have to drive it to see it. The dealer is quoting 9 to 12 weeks delivery after I pushed the issue. That puts delivery in mid June. I wanted the museum delivery option but my schedule will not allow it, it’s a bitch when you are still working…
I’m at about $2000 under invoice with incentives (USAA). That is the area you are talking about. I doubt it that Chev is going to offer anything more in the coming weeks. I could be wrong.
Cheers
Al

Believe it or not.........Dadeland Chevrolet in Miami had 10 [yes 10] GS's in stock when I went by to look last Sunday....including a yellow one and a white convertible. They were all marked down at least $2000 from sticker with a yellow tag on the dash. They had more than 20 new Corvette cars in stock there ZR1, Z06, GS, and base........no waiting. BTW, I have no affiliation with them, I just live near there.

BTW, all those GS's and Z06's sure made the base cars look lame !! They had a base red car there without one option.....as low as you could get $49080 I believe... shipping in.

I was just notified that my 2010 GS was built and shipped on 5/4/2010. I ordered it on 4/2/2010 that is 4 weeks and 4 days ARO. With a projected delivery date of 5/17/2010 that is 6 weeks and a couple of days - ARO. I wanted to do the museum delivery but my work schedule won't allow that to happen. I've beat on the dealer to contact my when the delivery truck is inbound so that I can be there to see it arrive. I know I'm anal but I don't want their shop guys driving it around town - on a date! The dealer tells me they have to do an acceptance ride - 2 miles - and top off all fluids. So it is on a train some where headed west toward me here in Seattle... Al

I have not driven a GS with the LS3 engine; I have only seen the videos and read the article in magazines. At 436HP this will be more HP than anything I have owned - only my 94 ZR1 at 405HP that I just sold is close to the 2010 base engine. I also have a 96 CE LT4 Z51 coupe that I have considered selling but after the disappointing offers at something in the neighborhood of 1/3 the original selling price I have decided to keep it. Truth is I need a driver and the LT4 is my first choice with its stellar torque and great drivability characteristics. The LT5 in the ZR1 is a monster with RPM capability into the 7000 range. Select the go-fast switch (dual injection key) and hang on above 3500 RPMs. The LT4 is another story. The push-rod motor is a high torque engine with superb drivability. The best I have ever experienced and hopefully the LS3 in the GS will measure up the LT4s standards. With 436 HP at 6000+RPM one would hope not to be disappointed.
You won't be dissapointed with the LS3! You'll find it has better torque AND drivability than any of the engines you have listed. There are 2 engines that beat the LS3. They are the LS7 & LS9. That's it!

Also, since the LS3 is so refined, it seems slower than your LT4 & 5. Believe me, they aren't!
I'll report as to what I like and do not like about the C6. I know I'll miss the wonderful hood as found on the C4's. I know I will not miss the frame rail I climb over when entering or departing the C4. For now I’m keeping the LT4… Al
You'll notice how much shorter the C6 is in comparison to the C4. Since you are getting a "widebody," it's wider than a C4 however.
Which trans did you order?

Reply w/ Quote |

[/QUOTE]

I was just notified that my 2010 GS was built and shipped on 5/4/2010. I ordered it on 4/2/2010 that is 4 weeks and 4 days ARO. With a projected delivery date of 5/17/2010 that is 6 weeks and a couple of days - ARO. I wanted to do the museum delivery but my work schedule won't allow that to happen. I've beat on the dealer to contact my when the delivery truck is inbound so that I can be there to see it arrive. I know I'm anal but I don't want their shop guys driving it around town - on a date! The dealer tells me they have to do an acceptance ride - 2 miles - and top off all fluids. So it is on a train some where headed west toward Seattle...
Al, you car will not be on any train. Bowling Green has been using Allied Auto-Transport since the C5 days. Unfortunately, Allied will not tell anyone when or where their car is currently (for TSA security purposes.) It'll look like this~
ROADTRIP2008001.jpg

Looks like a shipment going to a Hertz car rental store!! ;shrug

Which trans did you order?

I'm sorry if anybody likes the automatics but to me a Corvette without a clutch is like a marriage withouut sex, why go there? I have the 6 speed manual coming. Also it has both tops, indoor cover, nav package, dual mode exhaust, 3LT interior, light silve paint with a white GS stripe... I did not order the chrome wheels as I thought the painted silver color of the standard wheels looks good - time will tell. Both wheels are nice but the chrome wheels were another $2K.
My 96 Collector's Edition is silver also - so now I'll have two silver Vettes. I'm in the middle of building a new garage with a hoist here at home to keep them in.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom