Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Original Car Alarm

What have you done with your car alarm?

• Repaired original stock alarm

Votes: 36 27.5%
  • Left the alarm as is - non-functioning

Votes: 71 54.2%
  • Installed new alarm system

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Alarm? What alarm?

Votes: 16 12.2%

• Total voters
What do I need an alarm for? When it gets cold out, the locks freeze anyway. Perfect!

I didn't vote because there wasn't an option for original/working condition. It worked from the day I got it. I don't get what you guys mean when you say "when I arm mine" mine "arms" whenever I lock the door, are you saying you don't lock your doors?

You must be locking your doors with your key then. On my 79, you must lock the door with the key or if you hit the power lock switch, then you must insert the door key and turn it to the left to set or arm the system. I don't ever use the key to lock the car. That's why I got power locks. The system does not "arm" just by hitting the power lock switch. At least not on my 79.

no I'm pretty sure it arms it when I hit the power lock too, because I don't lock it with the key either. Maybe that was one of the "improvements" made in 80 or 81

Well, could be, I don't know about the 81's. To test either theory, roll down your window, hit the power switch and close the door. Then reach in through the window and open the engine hood. If the alarm goes off, then it arms just by hitting the power switch. If it does not go off, then close the hood, insert key in driver's door lock and turn to the left, then repeat the process with the engine hood. If it goes off then the 81 is the same as the 78-79 series. Maybe someone else with an 80's can confirm the procedure for those models.

heh, well I haven't even tested to see if my hood switch even works. I suppose that would be a good way to test both

That's cool. It should also protect your t-tops too. Give it a try when you can.

yeah, I know the t-top sensors work, well the passangers side anyway, I haven't tested the drivers side yet, I will test those things tomorrow and let you know

Woops, forgot this little tidbit. I checked the lastest edition of The Corvette Black book and although it didn't mention the actual function of the alarm system, it did state that the system was upgraded to include an ignition interrupt circuit. That means that when the system is on or "armed" if you will, the car will not start. You could try that too, to see if the system is completely functioning. Just a little food for thought.

so if I where to lock it and try to start my car it shouldn't start?

That is my understanding of the ignition interrupt feature. My aftermarket system has that feature built in too.

Car alarm

The original alarm on my 69 works perfectly. The only thing I needed to do when I restored the car was to replace the on/off switch (I was able to find a NOS part). These were made of pot metal and corroded within hours of exposure to the elements.

well I tested the alarm today and it fires right up with the alarm "armed" so I don't know what's going on there, but I do know that the hood sensor works :), now if I could just make the rest of my car not be such a piece of crap

Both my '74 and '75's work fine. My '80 did'nt work for years and I kept trying to repair it. One day, found an NOS '80 alarm horn at a Corvette swap meet for $10, then took my '80's original horn off. Here, from the factory, it was turned DOWN towards the ground and was packed with asphalt/road debris!!!!! I installed the new NOS(turned it away from the ground!!!) one and my alarm has been working since.

OE Alarm?

Come to think of it...I cant recall the last time I activated the OE alarm on my 81...so just how is this done again?
Sorry...spending toooo much time with the Harleys and the Boat!

I just fixed mine last week! I don't really plan on using it, but I want everything in the car to be in origianl operating order. The only thing wrong with it was a $1.98 flasher. It was easy to troubleshoot; very basic alarm.

The alarm on my car was removed before I bought it. I plan on replacing it if I can find one for a 72. Does anyone know where I could find one??:Steer

Turning on the OE Alarm????

Still looking for the answer reguarding activation of the oe alarm on my 81...is this done by turning the drivers side door key after its locked? Or dose it activate automaticlally when just locking the doors from the inside switch?
I havent done it in Soooooo long I just dont recal.

the alarm is the only part of my car where i allowed the word "viper" to show up. decided on a DEI 550esp Viper. I love it....... got all the goodies off the net, ie:tempstart(car turns on during winter nights to keep the car warm for a preset time, or turns on @ a certain time in the morning), talking function for the siren/warnings(currently have my german shepard recorded barking if someone tries to get within a foot of my baby), up to a mile range, proximity, dual 2 zone shock sensors, interior 130db additional siren so no one can try to dig under the dash without them going deaf first. I was very pleased and to me, in some of the areas i have to travel and work, worth the 400 i spent......
Tony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom