Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Original Color or Not.....Original Urethane or Not That's the Q

Vette D.R.S.

Corvette
1981 Silver 4spd
Hi all, I purchased a 81 4spd. C3 that is a # matching car with the exception of Alt. Starter, and Mufflers, the car has never been crashed, BUT does need paint, it was repainted another color and was not a real great job.

By the codes it is a solid Silver Metallic exterior with Black interior, looking at production figures there were only about 2500 solid Silver Met. cars and with a 4spd. which was about 5500.... would make it a slightly rarer car I would believe, just my opinion.

Now....Original Color or Not.....Original Urethane or Not That's the Question ???

The rear bumper is in good shape but does have the usual waves in the spoiler, but is 2 waves only,
Front has small impact or slight flex spots, this car will never be a show car or ?? but yet a DD, I still want to hold it's value if possible.

So all you great C3 folks chime in and let me know what you think.

Thanks for your opinions good or bad, they all count

Dave

I think you must decide who you are painting it for. Yourself? Or future resale? I'm sort of going through the same decision process as yourself. I have a 72 that I'm restoring. How original am I going to keep it. How much value will it lose if I upgrade the suspension or engine. I'm keeping the Elkhart green paint color, as i like it. but do I use a base coat/clear coat or a single stage enamel. Lacquer is pretty much non existent. I'm rebuilding this car for myself to enjoy as you are yours. I'll make tasteful changes that will keep me within my budget. My goal is to be able to recoup the total cost of my project if I were to sell it upon completion. How about you? I have been watching some of the collector car auctions for several yrs now. The c3 corvettes that really bring money are the rarer cars, big blocks or lt1's. The base corvettes such as mine are really only bringing decent money if exceptionally low miles and in excellent condition. So maybe check current auction prices to help you with your decision. Highly modified corvettes rarely recoup what is invested in them. And for what it's worth, why paint your car a color you don't want.

I like the response and have little to add. But as for resale value: Unless we are talking about a rare and desirably optioned early C3 (think big block or LT1) that will be a trailer queen to be sold at auction, I really doubt a change, even a color change makes 'that' much difference in value. If and when the time comes to sell it, there will be plenty of buyers for it either in it's original color or the color you liked and enjoyed. They may not be the same buyers but there will be buyers. Heck you bought it didn't you? Pick the color you like, never apologize for that and don't look back! Enjoy

My .02: original color; original urethane.

Color choice and bumper covers are completely up to you. Be aware a color change could hurt you at resale time. Some potential buyers would walk away; others would not care, and some would not know the color was not original.

:thumb

I like the car in silver and black, but don't base your selection on "collectibilty," because it won't be a true collector item for a looooong time. Rule of thumb says cars sell better in factory colors, but it's your car, and you have to be happy with it.

i have a 1982 with the same problem as you .first i will go with the flex bumper.my car was silver it is now red.i like the red much better than silver .the car shows alot better in red than in silver .but i looked at a 2003 corvette that had a silver matalic factory paint.if i paint the car i will go with the factory color but it will be the 2003 not the plain looking 82.if you had a factory green 1967 big block corvette. wood it sell faster as a factory green car or one with repainted perfect black paint job?it all depends right?paint it what you want to drive .no flames guys no corvettes were hurt in my opinon.lol

I don't know much about making money on cars. I paid $4,200 for my 72 big block auto air coupe in 1978. It's the most common color (Ontario Orange) with power everything but has the medium saddle standard interior. I've always wanted a black Vette and I like the light saddle deluxe interior. Black wasn't available in 1972 so I guess I'm wrecking the car's value. I'm also modifying the car to make it uniquely mine. If I had kept it pure stock and just covered it up for the past 33 years, I could have made this financial killing:

Mecum auction in Indianapolis March 11-12, 2011. 1972 numbers matching 454 4-speed factory air car sold for $22,000.
KC0311-107886_1.jpg

Same auction, this 81 sold for $9,000 so I'm not sure what to say about preserving the value of your C3s.
KC0311-107831_1.jpg

I don't know much about making money on cars. I paid $4,200 for my 72 big block auto air coupe in 1978. <snip> I could have made this financial killing: Mecum auction in Indianapolis March 11-12, 2011. 1972 numbers matching 454 4-speed factory air car sold for $22,000.

Personally I too try not to look at mine as in 'investment' whereby I maximize the amount of money I'll get off the next owner. Oh sure, if it's a 'do-not-care' item on mine, I opt for original generally, but if I have a preference for different - so be it. FYI if you'd invested $4k 30+ years ago and averaged 5% annual return, you'd gotten about that much back today. If you managed 8%, a LOT more. Anyway, I try to manage my investments pretty closely but my Corvette doesn't figure anywhere in my portfolio allocations. ;) Good luck!

Personally I too try not to look at mine as in 'investment' whereby I maximize the amount of money I'll get off the next owner. Oh sure, if it's a 'do-not-care' item on mine, I opt for original generally, but if I have a preference for different - so be it. FYI if you'd invested $4k 30+ years ago and averaged 5% annual return, you'd gotten about that much back today. If you managed 8%, a LOT more. Anyway, I try to manage my investments pretty closely but my Corvette doesn't figure anywhere in my portfolio allocations. ;) Good luck!
I really need a sarcasm font. I'm in complete agreement -- the only way to make money on Corvettes (or any other car) is through a business. If you can't write off every penny you put in the car, stop treating it like an investment.

I finance my cars bassackwards. Instead of borrowing money to buy a car, I make payments into an investment account and when it reaches the amount I want to spend, I write a check. I bring the check to the seller -- if it's not enough, I walk. I only walked once and the guy called the next day to accept the deal -- but I already bought another car with the check.

I've never made a killing on my real investments but managed to save enough to comfortably retire at 50.

Great views here people, this is what I'm talking about.

I bought this car really for my wife, she understands about originality, as I'm a car guy, and have owned many vehicles that are or were original and I modified them to my taste....never really recouped the money from the mods...BUT.. I didn't expect to.
My Real dilemma is, we will sell the car in a few years when she is tired of it, so that is where I'm at, trying to look ahead at the next buyer who may want to enjoy an original as I have.

I am someone that appreciates the originality of a car that has not been hacked and butchered, I've crushed many of those in the day, and have saved many.

The Silver cars I like, I worked for Chevy dealers in the times these were new, liked it then and now, really not many OEM colors I don't like, so that is not a biggie really with me or the wife as we have had several vehicles in Silver, I really am just not sure about replacing the Urethane, I think after seeing the posting of the B-J auction sales, it probably does not really matter.

I just like things at their original state, I was a very fortunate person to grow up when I did, to be able own and drive many of these cars of all makes models.

As an investment, it is not, but for what I got this car for, it is a great one.

I enjoy all vehicles I own no matter the rarity, this means driving them, not a trailer queen, been there, no thanks.

Keep the comments coming, and Thanks to all who have put their .02 in. :beer

Dave

I say paint it the way you want it, as long as the color & scheme look good on the car, that should satisfy resale. There's a lot of non-orig/factory colors that look good on our Vette's. The orig color on my '75 was "Brite Green" (yuck). it's now a deep shade of emerald green. It looks good on the body style and with the saddle interior.
I think the base coat/clear coat system is hard to beat for ease of maintenance and looks.
Good Luck :beer

Well my wife decided that for sure it's Silver Metallic, so now I just have to decide Urethane or True Flex........ What are the Pros and Cons of the True Flex... if any ????

I really appreciate all feedback on this matter.

:beer

Dave

My $.02 :D

If I had a choice between the Urethane or True Flex knowing that I would not be the primary driver ;) I would go with Urethane for the flex just encase... ;) Just the paint will spider crack not the bumper :dance

Somewhere around here someone posted about a replacement Urethane Bumper being manufactured, I didn't know anyone made them I thought all the reproductions were the True Flex (Fiber Glass) ;shrug

Check Ebay and few Corvette Junk yard for a good straight 1980 ~ 1982 bumpers ;)

Good Luck and best wishes

Bud

Tru-flex and fiberglass bumper covers all require hand fitting on your car. Almost none will be a direct fit. Do not expect an overly simple bolt up.

Reproduction urethane covers are available. Since they flex, they require less fitting. The drawback is that they are more expensive than other types of covers.

Your choice.

Terry thanks for the link, this page is really where I started.
I wanted to do the right thing when I painted this car, rather than the abuse that the PO did.

Well now... after reading about TruFlex in this sales brochure I reserve the right to change my mind ;) :chuckle

Bud

Sounds almost to good to be true, but with the technology of today who knows.

Tru-flex and fiberglass bumper covers all require hand fitting on your car. Almost none will be a direct fit. Do not expect an overly simple bolt up.

Reproduction urethane covers are available. Since they flex, they require less fitting. The drawback is that they are more expensive than other types of covers.

Your choice.

I agree Mike, I have not bought a replacement body panel for any vehicle that didn't take a little massaging here and there, that doesn't bother me in the least, it is the uniqueness of having the OEM stuff on there is what I like....I guess, also the longevity of the Tru-Flex, I have not seen or heard any testament from any who have them.

I have always tried to repair things rather than replace, it's just the era I came from...my Grandfather had a repair shop in Cali , you had to repair everything you possibly could, so my Dad was taught that way and then me, that is why old cars and I get along so well, I have the patience to do the repair, I don't have to have the instant gratification, sometimes the gratification is even better when you repaired something that someone else would have thrown away, and your finished product is supreme.

Folks the replies are great.

Dave

Well ButchN, I took a look and posted in your thread, but by looking at your vette, it has made the decision for me about original Urethane, yours has the identical waves in the rear spoiler as mine, this is what I was concerned with, I showed several people my spoiler and then showed them the pics of your car, without prodding them they all could see the waves....this is fine with me if it was a common thing with these......so with that... case closed... it will be OEM type Silver Metallic with the OEM Urethane, Thanks to ALL who put in their .02 worth, it is worth way more than that to me :thumb.

Thanks
Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom