Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OT - could use a little assistence please

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
hi all

this is a bit off topic but it DOES include pics of C1/C2 cars so...... :)

I'm building a new website for our Corvette Club since the old site has not been maintained, half the stuff is outdated, bad links, etc, etc.
It's just time for a new site and I'm the only one that seems to care enough to take the inititive to tackle the project.

i've gotten about halfway done and would like some help please if any of you are willing to spend 5-10 minutes checking it out.
I have it temporarily hosted on my own computer here at home just for test purposes and since I own all Mac computers and i'm building it on a Mac I really need help in having some people view the site on a Windows based system and a Window's based internet browser to see if the pages are displaying correctly.
i'd rather find out about problem now rather than after it's all completed.

If you wouldn't mind just clicking onto the site, navigating thru the pages, seeing if the links work, and seeing if the pages seem to display properly i'd GREATLY appreciate it.
If things look really bad than it would be helpful to know what browser and version of the browser you are using, such as IE6, IE7, Firefox, Opera, etc.
i've tested it so far on IE5.2 (Mac), Safari, and firefox - all Mac based but need to know how things look and work on Windows based browsers.

The link is here:

http://69.253.166.197/~barrykimmelman/

I greatly appreaciate it!! Thanks in advance.

Barry

PS: any constructive suggestion on improvement are appreciated also as I don't have website building experience except for my one personal site.

Hi, Barry!

I am running Firefox on a PC.

The site looks great.

The only thing that I noticed was the small font being used. This is a whole-site comment. I use a bigger font on my sites. I know this makes it a little easier for folks that are vision challenged to be able to navigate.

When I clicked onto application, all I got was the computer language for the page.

What an undertaking for you! I am going to have to come up with a catchy nickname for you: maybe Superman!

Gregory

SAVE THE :w

Hi Gregory

thanks! I'm very glad to hear it seems to be displaying pages correctly on a PC based browser :)
That starts to take a HUGE concern off me.

I wonder if the font size displays differently though on a PC browser VS a Mac browser......
I just compared the font size on the site to the font size on here and it seems to be slightly smaller on my site but not a HUGE difference. I can see if I can maybe bump it up a size without destroying the entire layout.

Yes, on the Applications page I do realize that won't display correctly yet. That type of page required a webserver feature called PHP that the built-in webserver on my system here at home doesn't have but most commercial webhosting sites will have to make it work correctly.

thanks for taking the time to help me out!
:)

Barry, I ran through some of the site and it looks pretty good on my WinXp pc using Opera 8.54 and 9.02! I didn't check out the entire site but I did try several links and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary..good job!

Barry the site look great, but I have to agree with lt4man, in some places the print looks small, if I am setting away from the monitor I have to look hard. But it is a great site and looks good, full of information about the club. :w

thanks partspup

i guess I will have to try to bump up the text size

Looks good Barry. You’ve bitten off a big chunk of work. I hope the club appreciates it. I’m running xp with netscape 7.2 and everything I tried worked fine. Good work :beer

thanks Bill!
I worked on it more since I originally posted so by the time you posted your reply I was able to "fix" a number of things including a lot of the linking issues.
Glad to hear it was working from your end.

As for the club, most people (like in ANY group) won't overly appreciate the effort - they will just take having an operating site for granted and not think about who or what it took to get it up. Doesn't matter though, we need it, no one else was willing or able to put in the effort so I figure I'd at least try. ANYTHING would be an improvement over the existing site.

Hey Barry, congrats on your web page undertaking, but don't you think it will severely limit your wrenching time. ;)

As for the page itself, I must agree with most responders regarding the size of the text. I am using Windows XP with their explorer version 6.029, and in a lot of menus, it is difficult, if not impossible to view some of the text.

Using the old " a picture is worth a thousand words ", I figured you might be interested is seeing exactly what is displayed on my screen. You might also want to consider the fact that there is no loss of quality in the picture below, it is EXACTLY the way it is displayed on my own High Definition LCD flat display.

You will notice that the link's on the right side are impossible to read, and the names , or descriptions of the menu bars on the left side are also VERY hard to define. Were I not able to " as we say " read between the lines, there are quite a few choices that I cannot make out. Also seen but not displayed are the wording in some of the multi-choice sub-menus, as they are also very difficult to make out.

Good luck with your undertaking

Stepinwolf

webpage.jpg

Barry Looks good to me

But I am running windows xp, with a google desk top with a pop up blocker an Mcafee internet security and the web page locks up on me.

Doesnt happen often, But something on the site is giving me problems on my lap top and home computer

The other site this happens on is the SACC website.

Bob
thanks for the input and the especially the screenshot, that is very helpful.
I'm working on bumping up the font sizes a bit.
On some of the pages such as the one you showed in your screenshot I'm also having some alighnment issues on some browsers I'm told so working on that also. It is very defined and aligned on MY browser so I'm thinking it may be a difference between how a Mac browser and a PC browser display differently and I have to figure out a solution - it being harder yet because I don't have a PC here at home to check the results, only 4 Macs!
I have a possible workaround I'm going to try though.

Thanks for the assist! :)

Larry,
hmmm, not sure why it would cause a lock-up. Maybe some conflict with the google, or blocker, or AcAfee, but I don't know. No one else related that issue with me but I don't know what else they are running on their systems of course.
Until I find out more I honestly don't know where to even begin thrying to solve that problem........

Barry, the site looks good, but I agree that the font is a bit too small. Also, I am not a huge fan of the font type. The letters are not differentiated enough for my liking, but that is just me.

Lastly, the whole italicized/shadowed font of the club name is hard to read.

It is a good body of work (certainly better than I'd have done) but you asked for comments so these are mine.

Joel
I agree 100% on the header's on each page with the club name.
To help speed up the construction of the site I pulled them off the old current site which is way outdated.
Once everything else is pretty much done and working right I do have plans to redo those header titles to something much more up-to-date and that will look better on this new site.
:)

I may also play around with the rest of the sites font type - it' definitely NOT set in stone the way the font style is now.

Thanks for the input!

Barry, just checked it with mine (XP Home/AOL 9.0/IE7), and aside from the load times (understandable), worked OK for me; I guess different browsers display it differently. :)

Thanks John!

you are the first I know of that also has it running thru AOL so it's good to know that the AOL service doesn't seem to be causing issues I need to correct.

:beer:

Barry I am sorry but what I call a lock up might be the slow speed. When I go to exit out,(because it take too long to load) it tell me the program is not responding and I have to manually close it.

Dave
yep, I know it's currently slow but it should SIGNIFIGANTLY improve once it's moved to the proper webhosting server.

larry
I was able to try to check the site on a computer at work today and ran into the same issue as you. it is locking the IE up! I have no clue why. Only uoi and now the work computer are the only ones it seems to be happening on. I don't even know where to begin to look to try to understand the reason why let alone a fix for it...... :(
I think I have no choice but to finish the site as is than get it published up on the real webserver site and than see how it works and hope for the problem to be gone.

Hey Barry

Looks pretty good to me. The font looks like it should be in bold on the blue buttons, or just a differnt type or style. I can still make it out pretty well without having to put on my reading glasses.

I have a 19 inch NEC monitor set to 1024 x 768 (native LCD) using good old explorer 6.0 on XP SP2.

It loads very slowly on IE and seems like its locking up but its just loading slowly, I dont have the most updated versions of Java or active X, and thats usually a factor when a similar thing happens to the PCs at work.

Very good first attempt at any rate.

WS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom