Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ouch

mick_s3

Corvette
1997 White Coupe
Anyone have any tips on what a ding like this could do in the way of mechanical/undercarriage damage?

Looks like when the truck hit, it did hit in a pretty good spot (i.e. didn't get any moving parts).

:cry

I don't know how much of a side push you received but I would certainly have the wheel alignment checked.;shrug

The paint and repairs will probably be expensive, but I don't think you'll have too much other than the body damage.

Sorry that happened.:cry

What is it with people hitting Vettes lately? :(

It looks like the only damage done would be to the body, the rear bumper cover and the right rear quarter panel. The initial estimate for our car included a new bumper cover and exhaust and paint for $2100. Take away the $800 for the exhuast and you looking at around $1300 for just the cover and paint. Looks like you will need a a quarter panel as well but have no idea what the cost would be for that.

It looks like the hit was high enough that it didn't hit the bumper and it probalby didn't damage the foam impact absober that attaches to the bumper. The only thing I would be concerned with would be the fiberglass tub (trunk) and that it was not damaged in the hit.

Is the driver of the truck responsible for the damage?

Yea, being that I was in a meeting about 500 yards away from my car when it happened, the fault issue is pretty much not an issue. :D

Apparently he drove up to the building to get security, so when I got to my car there was no one around. It pushed the rear of the car a good 6-8 inches. I park in the far garage, up on the last covered floor, as far away from the buildings as possible right next to the stairs. My car was facing North, he was parked next to the stairs facing West. I guess he didn't see my car :eyerole and when he backed out, he turned the wheel to the right and bambo.

I do give the guy credit for going and letting security know. He could have taken off, there was zero damage to his Titan truck.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I went up this morning and spoke to the body shop manager. He seemed to think that the rear 1/4 and back clip would be about it. He did say he would know more after he got it apart (obviously).

Gorgon said:
What is it with people hitting Vettes lately? :(

It looks like the only damage done would be to the body, the rear bumper cover and the right rear quarter panel. The initial estimate for our car included a new bumper cover and exhaust and paint for $2100. Take away the $800 for the exhuast and you looking at around $1300 for just the cover and paint. Looks like you will need a a quarter panel as well but have no idea what the cost would be for that.

It looks like the hit was high enough that it didn't hit the bumper and it probalby didn't damage the foam impact absober that attaches to the bumper. The only thing I would be concerned with would be the fiberglass tub (trunk) and that it was not damaged in the hit.

Is the driver of the truck responsible for the damage?

Mick,
As Gorgon and I can attest, you never know until that rear facia is off. Mine was a very minor rear hit (square behind it albeit) and I ended up with 4k worth of damage, frt was hit too.
I'm gonna estimate 350 for the rear fascia, 400 for the quarter panel, 2k for labor and another 1k for anything else that may be damaged under there.
All I can say is have the car put on a frame machine and make sure you get a copy of the printout. These machines are awesome, they tell you if the frame is off in millimeters. If the body guy is any good, he can get it back to perfect.

Good luck, let us know how it goes......

Absolutely agree with 68Roadster on the frame machine. While my impact was direct from behind, I'm concerned with the fact he moved your car 6 to 8 inches. Have the entire rear suspension looked at along with a frame machine and an alignment. I bothered the body shop on my car every single day for 30 days. They were happy to see the car leave and I was happy it was done correctly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom