Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Outside Mirror Repair

Don Mason

Corvette
01 Convertible & 73 Coupe
Hey guys, I remember a thread where someone was telling how to repair an outside rear view mirror. I am talking about a chrome side mirrow on my 73. It was an old post when I read it over a year ago. It described how to soak the head of the mirror in lacquer thinner overnight and the glass would release from the housing. Done!!. Now the part that I don't remember is how to tighten up the swivel so the head of the mirror will stay in place. The swivel ball is "pinched" between the back of the housing and a metal strap that is held in place by two rivets. What is the best method for "tightening up" the strap. I hate getting old!! I remember just enough to get me in trouble!!!.

i need to fix mine again.. just pounding the rivets back in again only lasts a short time then it flops around again.. I think we need to rough up the ball and put the strap on with some sheet metal screws and locktite so they can never loosen up.

Thanks guys for the tips. I'll give it a try.

I fixed mine better than that, I just wish that I would have taken pictures. I drilled the rivets out and tapped the two holes, #6 if I remember right. Put it back together with screws. It's very secure.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom