Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

overbeaten subject but need opinions

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
hi Guys

The only car cover I have is an indoor one i use in the garage to keep dust, etc off the car.
I need a good but not outrageously expensive outdoor cover for when I leave the car on the field at Carlisle, especially if it rains like it did last year.
I will NOT have my interior flood with 2 inches of water like what happened in the nightlong downpour we had Sat night/Sun morning last year....

Carlisle is just about the only time I can imagine I would need the use of the outdoor cover which is why i want a decent one but don't need the "ultimate" or most expensive.

I was looking at the "NOAH" cover. It runs about $225.00 or so from California Car Cover which is where I got my indoor cover from.
I got a NOAH cover from them to use on my sister-in-laws '67 Mustang while i was helping her to sell it as I had to keep the car outside so it seemed to be OK but was looking for opinions from others on thier experience on the NOAH or any other outdoor cover I should consider.
i'd rather not spend more than about $250 or so as it would have such a limited use (only once or twice a year).

One requirement I want on a cover is that the inside must be very soft and gentle on the paint besides the outside being weatherproof or weather-resistent

Any feedback on outdoor covers, what models you like or found you didn't like, or vendors other than California Car Cover ( I have had good luck with CCC as a vendor but if there is a better or less expensive place I'm open to suggestions) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Paul

have you used the Evolution (Technalon) covers?
I see they run less expensive than the NOAH which is nice but for only a few dollars difference I'd rather get the better one rather than just the less expensive one.
The Technalon runs $172 as you mentioned and the NOAH from the same place runs $199.
For the relatively small difference the price between the two isn't the issue as much as which one is better.

I've used them both over the last 20 years and can't tell the difference one to the other. Both are Kimberley-Clark products. A decade+ ago I had a bungalow without a garage so an outdoor cover was a must for my former 1979. Both worked OK in resisting moisture but they are not waterproof, nor are they dust proof. What the hype says is that they breathe: lets the moisture out after it penetrates. When new the rain does ball up on them and run off. But some wet mist does build up underneath. But certainly not enough to penetrate the car's interior. I believe the moisture resistance is related to some chemical that disappears with time as does the resistance. After a couple of years they were like dish cloths. But for Carlisle (one occasion) either one should be fine.

I was tempted to suggest that you simply use a matted polypropylene camping shelter with grommetted corners and bungie cords ($50.00) but with your new paint, that is probably not an option.

Barry,

Sadly you can't have it both ways. I have used an assortment of covers over the years, and in all cases, they were made to give you limited protection from the outdoor elements.

I noticed you made mention of weatherproof, you are right on, but please don't confuse it with waterproof. All covers need to breath, in order to not accumulate any heat under the cover. These same breathing covers, as a side effect, will permit the water to seep through the cover and on to your cars finish. Another un-welcome effect, is that when it does seep through, it also draws with it any and all dirt or dust , that is embedded in your car cover.

There are no other alternatives, than to use the softest, best quality cover you can find, and after it's been in use for any length of time, keep in clean, so that the contaminants don't end up on your paint.

Stepinwolf

Stepinwolf,
You have more eloquently said what I was trying to say. Many years ago when my 1979 was outside during the winter the Noah car cover was frozen to the paint. They are not waterproof. But Barry just needs a cover for one day. So a camping cover should do it.

As an aside, those covers used for extended times in outdoor, windy conditions can rub off the paint on the peaks of your fenders. Don't care what what the manufacturers say about their soft liners it does happen. Get a garage.

Thanks Paul, I'll most likey go with one of those two than as the next step-up is over $300.

Bob, yep, i realize that this level of cover isn't really waterproof, but water-resistent or weather-resistent is enough for what I need just to keep the inside dry in case it rains while at the show.

Barry,
You really can't go wrong with those for the first six months of constant exterior exposure. Out of here for now. Pic is this morning getting ready for a nice drive. And it was.

July002.jpg

Try this

try www.covercraft.com look up weathershield...not weathershieldHD...I have had one for about two years now, I use it for when we travel and thats as often as possible.....it repels most of the water..its lightweight.. you can shake most of the moisture off it when the rains stops..and packs nice and small. you can also wash it in your home appliances...almost feels like a balloon material.

midyear
I did look at the Weathershield. Looks like a good cover and i'd be interested but it's too expensive. The Evolution runs about $172, the Noah about $199 but the Weathershield is about $308.
I can't spend over $300 on a cover right now, especially one that would only get used literally a couple days a years. If I had more of a need for an outdoor cover where it would get used a lot than I'd strongly consider it.

Hi Barry,

Buy a large tent and just drive the car into it, then put your indoor dust cover on it.:L

Gary
don't laugh, I HAD considered one of those collapsible tents that are are covered on 3 sides and the top and act as a portable garage, I saw one at Dick's sporting goods yesterday. :)
That's a bit much though and I think a little overkill just for a little possible rain.

was going to suggest you use your "tent" you already have!?

Hey there Barry,
Mid America has a Noah for 149.99. Page 9 in their latest catalog.

I had one. Worked great, right up until the squirrels ate the top of the cover. :L

Seriously, it's a great cover.

Chris

Rick, the tent is going to be set-up behind the car. moving it is a lot harder than simply putting a cover on, especially when I get finished with the tent set-up this year! sides on it this year in case of rain, a larger rug on the ground, etc......
;LOL
Besides, and more importantly, the tent doesn't cover the entire car so if it rains the rain will run off the top of the tent onto the hood of the car (or the back window) and it will still be raining inside the car which the entire senario I'm trying to avoid.....
If the car didn't leak so much I wouldn't worry about it but when it rains (or I'm washing it) the car is the titanic. Most of the rear window leaks were fixed when we had the glass out for paint last year although there is still a dribble from it but the front is bad and from where it leaks in there is no way to fix it without removing the entire front clip of the car - that just ain't happening.

Chris, $149 for a Noah is a good price - I'll have to check that out.Just got their new catalog the other day but i've never ordered from them

Barry,
I've ordered alot from Mid America. Only one time did I have a problem, and that was with FedEx, not Mid America. Very reliable company do deal with. My experiance is about a 2 -3 day turn around to our area if you call in the morning before noon.

Chris

Barry,

let me check the "manufacturer" of my cover - you remember I covered mine every nite last year and didn't have drop one in my car after the downpours!

Why not use your regular indoor cover and throw a sheet of plastic over it if it rains. :upthumbs

when I suggested Barry use his tent he currently has - that is what I meant - through the tent over th cover - just use bungies or whatever to secure

thank Rick, Id be interested what cover you have although for the very limited use of an outsoor cover I need I don't want to spend for a very expensive one.

I'maVettehead, I've considered that also - I do have a big full roll of the plastic painters use to cover cars in their shop to keep overspray, sanding gust. etc off the cars as they work on other cars but than I need to deal with bricks, or wood blocks or something to weight the plastic down so it doesn't blow off......... plus it's a long roll to pack and bring with us in the truck rather than just a simple duffle bag of a cover
It would be a very easy solution though and sure cheap enough! just cut off a length to use each night and spread it over the indoor cover.
That's exactly how I protected the '65 as I was working on the '78 over the winter in the garage

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom