Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Overboosting revisited....long tech stuff

• Thread starter Thread starter SurfnSun
  • Start date Start date
S

SurfnSun

Well Im almost home....I got my car on a rack at work today and finally have it narrowed down to two options.

A) I have a bad diaphram on the passenger side turbo.

B) The gasket that goes around the wastegate has gone bad.

I got on the phone with Wayne from Callaway today. He told me to lightly pressurise the vacuum line. ( BTW both wastegates operate on the same vacuum line which is the rear one on the intake. The lines are stainless that come off the wastegates and it T's together just above the transmission bellhousing, then runs up to the intake.) And feel the threaded holes on top of the wastegate to see if air was coming out. There was none. My friend that was helping me could hear air though. So we got some soapy water and sprayed it while putting air in the vac line. I got bubbles from all the allen head bolts that surround the wastegate. So there in lines my vacuum leak.

I called Wayne back to pick his brain one more time, but he wasn't in so I left a message. I'll call back in the morning and see. We're probably gonna pull the wastegate off and take it apart, put a new gasket on and see if that does the trick.

Gee maybe soon I'll be able to go full throttle in 3rd and 4th gear!! :L

Callaway Cars can rebuild your wastegates and even install a "tighter" spring (Since you have taken the cats off and are experiencing more boost)
Good deal w/ the troubleshooting :)

Yea I talked to Ted Rice today. He was all over the board on the prices of things...especially those that were quoted here the other day. He also didnt' know if he had any parts in stock and said the turn around was about 14 business days on rebuilds.

He said $100 diaphram and anywhere from $165-225 or 250 (can't remember) for a total rebuild.

I'll probably do the gasket thing first and if that doesn't work I might be the first person here to have Evergreen Turbo do some work for me.

Wastegate Rework

I would not hesitate much to try Charlie Brown at Evergreen Turbo. At least on the phone with me several weeks ago, he seemed pretty knowledgeable on turbos and was not afraid to tackle jobs that required a little thinking on his part. If you decide to use him, make sure to report back your experience, whether good or bad.

I would still like anyone to send me any numbers stamped into the Rotomaster TO4B turbos or any Rotomaster detailed pictures. I would like to use this information to pursue some ways to revive a Callaway TT that has blown up its turbos beyond the rebuildable stage.

I'll have my car in the air tomorrow I'll look and see if I see any numbers. The turbos are wrapped in heat shield so I don't know what I'll see.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom