Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Overfilled differential, fouled vent?

Craig-o

Corvette
2001 Navy Blue Convert, 6-Speed
I have ~84k on my '01 convertible, and have just discovered the dreaded drivers side differential leak. After reading other posts on this topic, I have no doubt that I overfilled it when I replaced the fluid a few thousand miles ago, as I did not run the car for 30 minutes after filling, and then drain the overage.

When I lifted the car to look for the source of the leak, I discovered it was the drivers side seal, and decided to check the fluid level to see how much had leaked out. When I loosend the fill plug, the thing hissed for about 2-3 seconds, telling me that the contents were under pressure. My question it this: if an overfill will cause a problem with the vent, will removing the excess solve the problem, or have I just created a problem that can only be fixed by replacing the vent?

Thanks for your help.

Craig

.... as I did not run the car for 30 minutes after filling, and then drain the overage.

I did my fluid change a few months ago and I have never heard of this procedure. I did mine based on the service manual. Can you elaborate on where you got this information from?

Hi there,
The vent is engineered to allow 3 psi pressure and vacuum to 1 in hg to prohibit excess venting of fluid.
Your results are NORMAL and should not be confused.
Reset your fluid level correctly, and that MAY repair your condition.
Allthebest,:bang

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom