Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Overheated in normal driving

krnlpnc

Corvette
1998 Artic White Coupe
On my way from work the other day on the freeway in my '98 I noticed my temp. gauge over 220 degrees, it was only 65 degrees outside and I'd only been driving for about 10 minutes. I had to stop 3 times on my 10 mile trip home, each time waiting for the car to cool down, as it only took about 3 minutes of driving to hit 260 degrees and the overheat warning would come up. The oil temp also climbed excessively high, around 250 before I shut off each time.

The next day I checked the coolant which appears fine. Also no error codes on the DIC. The car has never had any heat related issues and I'd driven it several times earlier that day with out issue.

I'm taking it to my mechanic early this week, but I was wondering if anyone ever had this happen and might have a clue what it could be...something with the cooling system I assume??

Ahh...thermostat stuck closed and not letting coolant in, that makes perfect sense. I'll take in on Tuesday and start there. Thanks for the suggestion!

You might check and see if you sucked up something in your radiator. A plastic bag blocking the airflow would give you those symptoms. The C5 can hoover up some amazing stuff off the road.

You might check and see if you sucked up something in your radiator. A plastic bag blocking the airflow would give you those symptoms. The C5 can hoover up some amazing stuff off the road.
That would be the Very first thing I'd Check!! I've had to pull a Ground Hog out of mine!!!:upthumbs

That would be the Very first thing I'd Check!! I've had to pull a Ground Hog out of mine!!!:upthumbs
:rotfl

But a valid point! I cleaned a ton of crap out of my radiator then prompltly installed a screen over the lower opening!

Just back from my mechanic today, we confirmed it was the thermostat and replaced it with a 170 degree unit.

He showed me how to tell if the thermostat isn't opening: if the coolant hose on the passenger side is cool, but the return hose on the drivers side is hot...then it's obvious the radiator is not getting fluid. With all the sensors in these cars, sure would be nice if there was something monitoring the status of such an important part of the cooling system.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom