Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

owner of a 75 project in central FL

S

stepho1975

Hi everyone!

I've had my corvette for a while now, and its still in pieces. I joined this website hoping to find encouragement and excitement to motivate me into finishing this thing in a timely manner.

Here is a little bit about me, I am currently going to school to learn the art of welding. I drive a 1993 camaro z28 (and a 95 nissan sentra, that i'd rather not admit lol), and my project car is a 1975 Corvette. I am not concerned with keeping it original, which is good because the engine isn't. I have traced the block numbers and I believe the engine came from a 1971 el camino. It has headers, and edelbrock preformer intake and carb. Unfortunately it also has a badly rusted bird cage. I plan to drive the car, and take my lovely girlfriend out on dates in it, so I'm not expecting it to win any awards.

here is what the car looked like when I bought it: (slideshow)

here is what it looked like in february of this year: (slideshow)

Those pictures are almost current. I've made a little more progress but not nearly as much as I should have. Part of the problem was that I wasn't sure which direction to take. I contacted a corvette junk yard and talked to the owner. He said the easiest way was to take the birdcage off with the back half of the car and just replace the whole thing... $1500. The other option was the birdcage by itself for $900. Well I went to the yard and had a look around. I wasn't too impressed with the yard, being that it is corvette exclusive and every piece of metal is valuable I expected to find the cars under tarps or something. Almost none of them had the roof on or windshields or anything, leaving the birdcage completely exposed to the elements. Leaves were piling up around the birdcage. Not a good environment for steel. So I didn't find any birdcages that were in a whole lot better shape then mine. All of them would need patching as well. So I am going to go ahead with patching it.

Good first post.

Welcome to the :CAC You'll find plenty of good help in the C3 section.

:beer

Welcome to the site- that's quite a project you have!

Good luck, and stick with it. Keep us posted on the progress, ok?

Tammy

p.s. I thought for a minute that was my cat by your car. But then I realized mine is probably much fatter :chuckle

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center, Stepho! Looks like you've got your work cut out for you, but as 67HEAVEN mentioned, there's excellent and enthusiastic help to be had in the C3 forum.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Keep at it and post photos of your progress. We never tire of images of a Corvette being brought back to life and glory!

:wJane Ann

:D Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'll definitely keep you updated with pics as we progress.

p.s. I thought for a minute that was my cat by your car. But then I realized mine is probably much fatter :chuckle

Probably not too much fatter, my cat is quite the little piggy. :L

welcome to CAC!!!!!
enjoy!!!!!:welcome

WECOME TO CAC

Welcome to CORVETTE ACTION CENTER; we're glad you joined us :beer

Good luck on your project, when you get her done it will be something to be very proud of I'm sure. Keep plugging away and one day you will have it like you want it.

Stay in touch, keep us posted on your progress. There is a wealth of information here that's for sure:thumb

Bill :w

Thanks everyone.

I've been here since monday and I already have 15 posts... I think im getting addicted! But I can't think of a better site to be addicted too.

It does get in your blood; really nice through the winter when you can't drive your Vette like here in the mid-west, time for me to say it again; WINTER :finger SUCKS OUTLOUD!!!!

Bill:w

Welcome aboard. Enjoy !!!! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom