Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

P0410 advice for a new vette owner

Ryan2000

I am brand new to corvettes. Just bought my 2000 green coupe at a repo auction for a great price. Always deamed of owning one of these fantastic cars and now I do - very exciting. Now for my questions. After about two days of driving my engine light comes on. Did some research on this fine site and read the code P0410 - secondary air system. More research and I tried cleaning the valves with carb cleaner as described on this site. Light still on. Took it to my local dealer and was told the airpump was bad - It came on but no air output. They replaced the pump and cleared the code $500. On my drive home code drops again. Retun car the next day. Upon further inspection they tell me my battery has leaked acid and damage a vancuum hose to a check valve. New battery repair hose and clean up acid $400. One the way home - you guessed it - same code.
My question is two-fold. Did my dealer replace a good air pump by not doing enough diagnosis befor replacement? Should I take it back to the dealer and potentially be out more money as the replace everything and still not fix the problem and can I just keep resetting the code and live with it.:chuckle What else could be causing my issue
Car runs great
Thanks for any advice guys
Ryan

(snip)
My question is two-fold. Did my dealer replace a good air pump by not doing enough diagnosis befor replacement?

That is correct.

Should I take it back to the dealer and potentially be out more money as the replace everything and still not fix the problem and can I just keep resetting the code and live with it.
Shop for a new dealer. You need to research this to find a dealer who's engine controls techs actually are willing to properly diagnose. Many are not but a few are.

Shop for a new dealer. You need to research this to find a dealer who's engine controls techs actually are willing to properly diagnose. Many are not but a few are.

Hib is correct about searching for dealership whose service department does a thorough job on diagnosis. My advice on how to find such a dealership would be to find some Corvette clubs in your area- see if they have a dealership as a sponsor, and do contact some of the members to see what advice they have on their experiences with dealerships in your area.

-Patrick

Welcome to the :CAC Ryan!!

I can't add much in the way of technical advice but I can say that I had the same battery issue on my '98 about 6 months after I purchased it. My mechanic, Kevin, cleaned and neutralized and then plastic coated everything possible, replaced the battery and added a tray large enough to contain any future leaks for about the same price you quoted. I can't lay my hands on the records at the moment but it seems as though he replaced the Tac Module also. That was nearly 4 years ago and I've not had any more problems with it.

Good luck getting your problem resolved.
:wJane Ann

Update

I retuned the car to my dealer and they called and wanted my old pump back because they think the new one may be defective?? Very odd. Is there not a way to test a pump other than put it in the car and see if it works?

Hi, I had a thread about P0410 and checked a whole lot of things, blower, NRV's etc. I have lived with the P0410 fault coming up every day and a half for nearly a yaer now, resetting as the engine check light comes on. Any way this week I had to get my state inspection done, i had reset the code in the morning when it was tested it failed the emissions check for Not Ready check on the EVAC system.

I checked it into Huffines who listened to all I had to say about my Corvette and found that one of the vacuum hoses under the battery had corroded, they hand repaired/replaced it. I will let you all know if the P0410 fault is fixed later this week as the mmiloes pile om my Corvette. I hope this is a fix and hope for everyone else with the same problem.

Michael.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom