Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! P0442

Corvette
2000 c5 silver coupe blk interior
thanx ,check engine light on . went 2 auto zone,read code P0442 . gas cap,EVAP cannister or hose loose/cracked ,purge or vent solenoid defective,vacuum leak @ engine . where is all this located??? thanx carlc1c3c5 :happyanim: :w

thanx ,check engine light on . went 2 auto zone,read code P0442 . gas cap,EVAP cannister or hose loose/cracked ,purge or vent solenoid defective,vacuum leak @ engine . where is all this located??? thanx carlc1c3c5 :happyanim: :w

Translated: your car has a fault in the evaporative emissions control system which could be either in:
the gas cap
the EVAP hose and pipes
or the vapor canister
or
the vent solenoid is faulty
the purge solenoid is faulty
or
the engine has a vacuum leak.

The parts are in several different places in the car. The Factory Service Manual will show their locations.

My advice is:
1) This code may set if the car is driven with the gas cap off or loose. Put the fuel cap back, tighten it if it was loose or replace it if it's faulty, clear codes and road test. If the code does not reset, you likely solved the problem.
2) If it's not a fuel cap problem, look for engine vacuum leaks.
3) if it's not the fuel cap, you do not find a vac. leak and you do not have a Factory Service Manual, take the car to a service facility and have the EVAP system tested/checked.

help po442

thanxs HIB where are these parts located . been laid up ,staph infection now fell down stairs 7 stairs, now i just hope just a BRUISED COCCYX, Then back 2 PLAYING with my oo coupe!!!:happyanim:

First thing I'd do is make sure your fuel cap is in good condition and is not loose.

For the rest of the components, which are located variously under the hood, near the fuel tanks or in other locations in the car, I'd have to research the Service Manual for your model year to know where specific locations of those parts. I'm busy at work today so I don't have time to do the research for you.

If you don't have a Service Manual, get one. You'll have trouble solving that code without one.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom