Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint again

T

Tim80

A couple of months ago I was shopping to have my bumper resprayed. I decided it wasn't that bad and that I'd pass on painting it for now. Well, I noticed a stress fracture in the left front fender. It is about 1/2 an inch long. Went to several body shops and I am getting the same old somg. $600 to $700 spray the bumper and repair the stress fracture. I was also told by one shop that a flex agent shouldn't be added to the paint because the paint won't stick as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Flex agent

I don't recall ever having a problem with paint not sticking with a flex agent included. If you use a catalized enamel the hardner acts as a flex agent and you don't need to add anything else. If you were to use a laquer on a flexible part with no flex agent it would crack and lift if the part was flexed at all. Laquer doesn't bend like the modern paints do. The biggest problem you will run into with a flex agent, and it is obvious on Corvettes with factory laquer paint, is that the bumpers fade faster and require more frequent waxing.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom