Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint calipers?

Rick280

Corvette
2002 White Coupe
Is it possible to paint calipers? Heat proof paint and if possible any suggestions on product. Stock calipers need something.
Any ideas, Thanks

Ps. Great site, Proud to be member !:w

Rick280, welcome to the CAC.
One of our members posted a good how-to article about painting the calipers... have a look here. Hope this helps.

Tammy

Great article

Thanks Tammy for great response and quick too.
The article is perfect, Now I have job to do.
Good one for those winter months.
Thanks Again

You're welcome. Really, Andy (mqqn) is the one to thank :)
You might search around the forums if you need advice on which paint to use. Make sure it can withstand high temps.

Tammy

Rustoleum "Sunrise Red" works just fine on calipers.

Clean the caliper really good with a solvent (lacquer thinner) and brush on three coats.

It's oil based so it levels out nice and smooth, even after being brushed on.

Here's a shot of mine when they were being painted.

Three years and they still look like brand new.

Wheelwell_detailed.jpg

Hi Rick280 -

I used the dupli-color ceramic header paint to do mine -

Since the calipers do not get anywhere near as hot as the rotors themselves, the 500 degree rating of this seems to be reasonable.

Here is a picture of a can of the stuff I used -

http://www.iammoon.com/images/c5tech/paint/cp_2.jpg

Yes - I know - Ford Red. Hey - it matched up very well with the calipers on my Z06 - and it has proven to be very durable, and I dirve the coupe in the rain etc.

also, I used simple green and a toothbrush to clean up the calipers - BrakeKleen will work, but it is VERY caustic and will remove paint from cars and FLOORS (don't ask....)

best regards -

mqqn

I have a small suggestion far as the lettering goes. Before you paint, q-tip some vaseline onto the letters, and when you're ready to clear them off, it will be alot easier.

I painted mine while on the car. The trick is proper cleaning. I bought the dupli-color caliper paint at Advance Auto. Buy 2 extra cans of brake cleaner or use lacquar thinner for cleaning. Tape off parts and apply 2 coats. Mine look great and are holding up nicely. The entire job took less than 2 hours.
Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom