Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint fading, looking for advice...

Bob M

Corvette
1990 Coupe
The paint on my 1990 Polo Green Coupe is actually in very good shape except for the rear area which has experienced fading and develops a "white haze" a week or so after waxing. I'm also experiencing fading in the front bumper area which has plenty of "sand blasting" marks from the previous owner who put the original 67000 miles on it. I really don't want to paint the whole car because the doors, hood, roof, and fenders are actually in great shape and look great when waxed.

Is there a trick to correcting these paint defects without painting the whole car? I'm a little skeptical about just painting the rear and front fearing the car may look like it has been hit when it actually never has.

Any suggestions?

Bob

The paint on my 1990 Polo Green Coupe is actually in very good shape except for the rear area which has experienced fading and develops a "white haze" a week or so after waxing. I'm also experiencing fading in the front bumper area which has plenty of "sand blasting" marks from the previous owner who put the original 67000 miles on it. I really don't want to paint the whole car because the doors, hood, roof, and fenders are actually in great shape and look great when waxed.

Is there a trick to correcting these paint defects without painting the whole car? I'm a little skeptical about just painting the rear and front fearing the car may look like it has been hit when it actually never has.

Any suggestions?

Bob
The white Hazing is the Clear coming apart form age,It will get worse!!!There are things you can put on it, but in the end it will just make things harder to refinish!!:upthumbs http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showpost.php?p=809286&postcount=3

Funny you mention this. I was talking to a friend who has been considering the purchase of a C4 and what he was asking me was, why do all the cars he looked at have such "...different looking paint on the front and rear areas?" What he described was almost identical to what you are saying.

Last year I had some damage to the front bumper of my 94 when a man backed into the front and poked a hole in the bumper cover. They replaced the urethane bumper cover only and painted only the cover. Mine turned out great....but I'm pretty sure that the Polo Green metallic is going to be tougher to match than my solid white. I would suspect that the paint acts differently on the urethane than it does on the fiberglass panels resulting in how the paint lasts.

I'm not a paint and body guy so my observations are just that, observations and my opinions. Hopefully someone with more experience will just in here and either verify what I think or dispel and tell us what is actually going on, then I'll learn too.

Go to maaco and get it repainted, it will last your 3 or 4 years and then freshen it up again. Why pay $6000 to $10000 on a paint job that the neighbors cat will just jump on it and scratch it anyway.

If you are careful, you might be able to 'color sand' the clear to a point you can simply reshoot the back with new clear. You would need to experiment with 1500-1000 grit wet/dry paper and see if you can stay out of the color coat. If you can get the old clear smooth enough, you may be able to shoot the clear again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom