Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint Job for c3

FlagCraig

Corvette
2003 Anniversary Edition Coupe
What could I expect to pay for a high quality paint job on a 1970 with limited body work needed.

Thanks,
Craig.

I'm guessing 4000+ depending on the color.

I was hoping for a $3-4000 guestimate on my 1973...Basic sand and paint, replace the front bumper.

1st place was around $6000 but I have seen their work on vintage cars and it is flawless...show car quality work is all they do.

I am guessing I could shop around and save a $1000 to $1500.

Karsten

You get what you pay for. $6K is not bad if you get what you want.

paint

I just paid 13K for mine. we did remove all of the paint as well as change the body mounts.

But I must agree you get what you pay for.

here is a picture of the car after the paint job

Last edited:
A good paint job is worth the money. One of the first thing people notice and say to me is great paint job. That alone is worth the money.:happyanim:

Well the $6000 bid I got went to $6500-7000 and they don't have time to do the car until spring if then.....I guess I am back to looking.

Karsten

i just paid $7750 for my '72 in Steel Cities Grey. It looks great, but it took 4 trips back to the paint shop to fix issues and get it right.

Chiming in late here, but hey, I have a couple extra minutes... (Of course, there's been tons of previous threads about this if you wish to use the search function. One of the threads even has the pre-, during, and post-paint pics.

My paint was $7500. It's not the materials that cost the money. It's the time and skill involved. Once your car is painted, you'll be doing the same thing everyone else with a C3 does...

The paint shop has to be careful about sanding fiberglass 'cause it ain't like stripping metal. IIRC, it needs to be sanded by hand. Media blasting or chemical stripping can be done, but it's risky on fiberglass, especially one a 43 year old car. When they are sanding down the body, they need to run along the creases and NOT over them, side-to-side. They'll destroy those crisp edges on the fenders right quick! It's pretty easy to tell C3's that have been repainted because the fender lines are smooth & rounded, not crisp & sharp like they left the factory.
Then there's simply the time invovled to disassemble and mask off everything. Door panels come off, glass come out to get to the mirrors. Hood comes off (if you plan on getting the underside painted). Trim pieces, logos, gas cap, etc... There's a LOT to mask off and/or disassemble. Once the car is all prep'd, painting it is the easiest part of all of it. Then all the pieces have to sit for a few days while the paint cures. Otherwise you'll end up with depressions in the paint where the touching pieces emboss the paint.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of people that will be very happy doing it themselves, or claiming they got a show-quality job for $3000 or less. That's your decision which way to go. Caveat Emptor! You're the one that has to live with the results. Have you settled for anything on your car? Or have you always got exactly what you wanted because you didn't settle? Food for thought.

You get what you pay for...new paint looks great when its new. Its a question as to how it looks a number of years down the road. Also, you start getting crazy with everything else...emblems, chrome, interior etc. Then it turns into a frame on resto which is what I did. Media blasted and eveything redone (bird cage wasnt in good shape either)...needless to say it was a lot of $$$$$$$. Looks awesome though!!!! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom