Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint job

F

first71

I just bought a 71 coupe. I'm looking for a good paint job and minor body work, any reccomendations in southern CA?

Can't give you any help on where to take your car. I just wanted to welcome you aboard. So tell us a little about that 71 of yours, I'm kinda partial to that model:D.

Welcome 71!

Welcome first71!

I'd recomend:
...attending a Corvette (or any car club, but fiberglass is different from metal) club meeting, and inquiring as to who their members use.
...visiting several shops (more than 4) for general estimates and examples of their work. Ask for references, and to see photos of work, but seeing the vehicles would be best.
...prices will probably vary widely...but in automotive painting, you get what you pay for.
Good luck.
Silver aka:Heidi

first71

I had my trans am painted at xcaliber there all over southern california, was extremly happy with the job they did on my car was done in black and looks show quality sad part was the price 2200.00 there excellent to deal with and fixed any and all imperfections that I didn't like before delivery ( car was also color sanded and buffed ) for this price

First71,

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for in the way of a paint job, nor what you are wishing to spend. However, if I were in the market for paint and body on a Corvette, I would check with J&D Corvette in Bellflower, CA. They are at 9833 Alondra Blvd. Their phone number is (800) 838-8353.

I have had the pleasure to deal with them in my quest for good quality, hard to come by, used parts and have found their prices to be fair and very nice folks to deal with. Geez . . . they even let me dig through their bone yard.

Ron

Welcome to the CAC.

As stated above, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but Silver gave you some sage advice. Fiberglass is definately different than metal, and the paint process is very different. Check around with your local shops and see what they have done. Ask other corvette owners (locally) what they have had done and where, and check for yourself. I'm also considering painting my 80 soon, and I'm hearing anywhere from $4000 to $8000 for a good to show quality paint job. :puke

Good luck and keep us posted! :beer

Steve :w

Since you're down south, I'd check out the Street Rod show at the Q this Sunday (May 26th). Many gearheads attend these shows, and since this paticular show is featuring Rods and Customs, I'm sure you'll get many recommendations on good paint shops in your area if you ask around. Keep in mind that many rods (especially the '32 and '34 Ford kits) are glass-bodied, and I've found rodder's can be as, if not more, discriminating when it comes to their cars appearance, than Vette owners.

Luck,
Kurt
'76 in resto

topless82vette said:
...sad part was the price 2200.00...( car was also color sanded and buffed ) for this price

Choke! Cough! Hack!..... $2200!?!?? And you think that was too much!?!? If you are happy with the paint job and they did all the nooks and crannies, then you stole your paint job!

I have to agree with "sac001" from above, I'd expect between $4K and $7.5K. Mine was $7400 out the door. Of course, I knew before hand that I was going to an expensive shop, but I've also seen their work on dozens of cars before and knew that I was going to get what I asked for. That peice of mind was worth it.
I have pics of my car during it's transformation: http://photos.yahoo.com/thethingsido

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom