Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint the body on or off the chassis?

emf1367

Corvette
2003 50th Anniversary Coupe
Okay the time has come and I need your assistance. The question is: Should I paint the body on or off the chassis? There are pros and cons to each way but I'd like to here from those that have actually done a frame off restoration; or even those of you who know someone that have chosen one way over the other.

The car is a 75 convertible that I've braced with steel to hold its shape while it was being moved off of the chassis and sitting on the dolly. The doors, hood, and deck lid have been removed. The car was media blasted and it awaiting some minor body repair and primer before either being painted on the dolly (which is reinforced wood) or placed back on the chassis to be painted.

Thanks to all that read and respond.

:w

Everyone has their own preferences - I've done this about twelve times over the last 30+ years, and have always had the body painted off the frame, on a dolly; while the painter is doing his thing, I'm doing the engine and chassis, and when the body comes back, I don't have to deal with any paint, overspray, or body shop dust/crud on the restored chassis.
:beer

I agree with JohnZ, that's the way I do it. One additional point not mentioned by John, is that I color sand, buff and finish up the body completely before putting it back on the frame. The color sanding residue is terrible and hard to get off a restored frame if you wait to do this when it is back together.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom