Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint & Trim tag question

Jodis81

Corvette
81 B.G. Car #'s Match / Ruby Red
Got a question about the P&T tag on this 81.

I've seen other tags before that have Chevrolet stamped at the top of the tag,
then the word Trim with a set of numbers following it. And the word Paint with another set of numbers.

The tag on this one is totally different.

pict1599rx8.jpg

It reads

B 08D 106366

141 80L 80U

CHEVROLET

Why is this tag different that all the others I have seen before?

Anyone know what the numbers mean?
I've been looking and nothing I have found matches any of the P&T codes for 81's.

Thanks for any knowledge you guys might have about this one!
Appreciate it.

Shane

Why is this tag different that all the others I have seen before?

Most other tags have the letters and numbers in focus, that's why :rotfl

Sorry.

This is a tag from a Bowling Green built car. The format is completely different than the St. Louis cars. Perfectly normal.

B= 1981. (C was 1982)

08=, 8th month (August) , D = 4th week of the month

141= sure it's not 191? Black leather interior.

80L 80U = Red exterior lower (L) and upper (U)

:beer

Thanks Mikey

and 100% sure it's 141 just went and looked again to make sure

Been meaning to get one.
Jodi and I just talked about that the other day.

Thanks again!

Interior code 141? This is from the L81 Registry:
Interior Color Configurations Code Description Code Description 19C Black Cloth 192 Black Leather 64C Camel Cloth 642 Camel Leather 182 Charcoal Leather 29C Dark Blue Cloth 292 Dark Blue Leather 67C Cinnabar Cloth 74C Dark Red Cloth 672 Cinnabar Leather 742 Dark Red Leather 752 Medium Red Leather 13C Silver Gray Cloth 132 Silver Gray Leather 152 Silver Gray Leather

Yes 141 is on the tag.

I've seen this list before and no 141.

So maybe 141 is not the interior code?

IDK

Most other tags have the letters and numbers in focus, that's why :rotfl
:L:L

Shane, in the future, if you are having problems getting a close-up focused shot, take a shot from further back that is in focus and just zoom in and crop the picture down using your preferred photo editor program. Sometimes it's easier to zoom in post-production on a distance shot than to try and get the camera to focus up close.

If you are absolutely 100% sure you have a 141, you might want to have me move this into the L81 forum and/or contact the NCM for a buildsheet (as you said you were gonna do.)
:w

Admin can move this thread to the L81 if they want.

We will get the build sheet here soon and hope then we can solve this mystery.

Thanks again for all the help on this one guys!

:beer

Your not the only one. The interior code on my 82 tag doesn't match any reference I've ever seen. It reads

C 05D 115042
13I 99L 99U E

The upper and lower paint codes make sense, but with a Silver Gray leather interior the books say I should have a 132. If it were cloth it would be 13C. What the heck is 13I or maybe it's 131.

Look closely at the characters of your interior code. The first character of my trim code looks more like an upside-down T rather then a 1. From the VIN portion of the tag, I know that the upside-down T character is a one in this strange font. On mine the third character looks different than the first. More like an "I". My best guess has always been that the tag contained only the first two digits of the trim code indicating the color and that the "I" stood for interior.

Double check your tag. If it actually reads 19I, everything I said above fits and the universe will continue to spin in perfect balance. Just don't ask me why there is an E out there by it's self on the far right.:W

What the heck is 13I or maybe it's 131

I went through this same thing here last month when I got my baby. My tag also had the "I" in it that I could not find referenced anywhere on the web. In my case mine was 74I.

I ordered my build sheet and what do you know, it says that my car came with "dark red interior trim" or code 74I.

Order that sheet, it will help a lot. By the way my car's tag also showed a 33U and a 33L for silver metallic, which some folks told me that my car came all silver from the factory and that somebody else probably added the charcoal over the years. Not so according to my build sheet and repo window sticker. My car is an orignal silver over charcoal optioned D84 two tone car from Bowling Green:beer

Looks like my thoery of the two digit trim code fits for your car. Seams like I heard somewhere that there were irregularities in the tags for these early Bowling Green cars. I wonder if your incorrect lower paint code is the exception or the rule.
Anyone else out there notice this on a two tone car?:confused

Aside from the Upper and Lower being a "33" in my case, My tag also shows 39M which is a code for Charcoal :)

So my tag looks something like this:

74I 33U 33L 39M

:eyerole I'm pretty annoyed with the fact that neither of the books I have on the subject correctly document this information for the 81 and 82 Bowling Green cars.

For 81 the books are only correct for St. Louis cars and their is no mention of the fact that the Bowling Green tags had a different format and paint codes. Even worse, one of them shows the St. Louis style tag as an example of what the 82 tag should look like. All the 82's were built in Bowling Green and I assume have a tag just like mine.

:eyerole I'm pretty annoyed with the fact that neither of the books I have on the subject correctly document this information for the 81 and 82 Bowling Green cars.
Write to the authors / publishers and reference this thread!
Just 'cause they write books on the stuff doesn't make 'em infallible...New info pops up every now and then which they are typically more than happy to revise! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom