Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Painting Chrome hookers Black

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
All,
I just bought a set of used Chrome headers and side pipes. Header side, the chrome is mostly gone with some rust around the collectors and the tubes look pretty good although I haven't attempted to separate them yet.
I've searched the archives and found many older threads but thought I'd check to see if there's any new technology out there.
I'm probobly going to sand or glass bead blast and paint black because they're going on a 68 Corvette Bronze 427 vert. My question is what is the best way to prep and paint these so they look nice and won't flake or bubble. I don't drive in the rain ever. And I'm not interested in investing in any ceramic type coatings.

Thanks,

Jim

Painting an exhaust system isn't without it's pitfalls. Rattle can hi-temp paint usually isn't that durable. Plus where ever there is chrome, it's going to have to come off for paint to stick properly. And there are not any hi-temp primers that I'm aware of to help with paint adhesion. I would be wary of sand blasting a used exhaust system, for fear of blowing a hole in a thin spot on one of the tube/tubes. What I would look at doing would be to find a chrome shop and see if they could strip the old chrome finish. If so, that should leave you with clean bare metal that you could apply a hi-temp paint coat. You might want to look at the POR-15 line of hi-temp coatings for your top coat.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom