Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Parking Brake Blues

Pegasys

Corvette
1973 Red Coupe
If your C3 parking brake needed complete replacement from top to bottom, what would a realistic price be including labor at the shop? I was quoted $2000 U.S.$. Is that nuts or what?

The quote was from a specialty Vette garage - what would Midas or Speedy charge - or even the Chev dealer???

Ouch! Apparently most C3s parking brakes don't work?! (Mine is an Automatic 73....)

Mike

I don't think so!.

The actual brake shoe kit in Stainles Steel shouldn't be more than $120.00. The cable shouldn't shouldn't be more than $50.00.

Unless he's replacing the rotors and calipers too!

I wouldn't pay $2000.00 for parking brakes.

Just my 2 cents

Enigma

PS Notice you're in Toronto. Give Brian a call at "Stingray" in Mississauga. Tell him Eric sent you. He has to be one of the most honest vette mechanics I've ever met. He'll be straight with you.

Thanks Eric I'll definitely do that on Monday and see what he says. I guess they're listed in the book? I haven't heard of them...

But, I'll say Eric sent me...Mike

Eric, got it...

Stingray Autotech (Corvettes)
Phone: (905)569-9333

4141 Sladeview Crescent, Mississauga, ON L5L 5T1

Thanks...Mike

I replaced all my stuff myself. All the parts for the parking brakes I think were less than 300 bucks. The big parts guys sell some really good kits. I think Zip's had the most but you have to check the catalogs. Some of the websites also have tip's that will make your life much easier. Anyone who has ever done it will tell you that the shoe hold down springs are a real PITA but if you compress them and then tie them with dental floss install them and then cut the floss they go on real easily. I think that tip came from zip also. All that stuff wiggles around enough that you can do the job just take your time and do some research first. Drink OJ, not beer or caffiene. It's a bad enough job without the extra stress.

Bill

Seems a little high to me. My left rear did not have any part of the parking brake assembly remaining in the wheel. I did not want it repaired but I had to have it for inspection. My mechanic replaced the parking brake assembly on both sides. Replaced R.R. caliper, bearing, spindle and inspection for $965.00 . It was durring the winter of last year. I saved some money by letting him work on it at his convenience in between customers. He kept it inside at all time. I think he had it for about three weeks. I was glad to save a couple of bucks. Just my opinion. I hope it works out for you. Good Luck.:D

:w
Kenny

Hey Eric,

My car is with Brian at Stingray now...just waiting for the estimate....

Thanks a lot...great place!

Mike

Pegasys - Not being what I would say "a good mechanic"..I had the rotors drilled out, parking brake shoes disassembled, old cable off and all new parts in within an 8 hour day. To top it off...the old parts were essentially welded in there!!!

My guess is that if this is someone who really knows Vettes..you are probably talking about 6 to 6.5 hours of labor plus parts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom