Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Parking Brake Handle Question on my 62

dennyrock

Corvette
White 62, 250 HP
dumb question, but I am really stumped. I've been trying to remove the parking brake handle on my 62 and cannot for the life of me figure out how it comes off. It appears as though a screw may have been broken off on the underside of the handle so I tried drilling it out and the handle still won't budge. Does the handle screw on and become secured by an allen screw or has this handle just become permanently bonded to the shaft over time? My service manual and assembly manual are no help. Any advise is appreciated. thx

Dennis

Mine appears to be pinned on. It is just a solid steel pin with a smooth head. Sorry I can't help further. I have never tried to remove one of these.

Tom

Very easy, I recently replaced mine. First of all the wire cable has to be detached. In my case the cable tore. If this does not happen you made need a mirror to see so you can remove the cable from the end of the parking brake lever. A screw driver should work to pry the " cable ball out" Next just pull the stop pin out that is on top of the parking brake lever, then push on the locking tab to disengage it while you pull the lever out. Also make sure your parking brake light electrical connector is out of the way. Replacement is just as easy.
Before mine broke, I could not get enought cable out to activate the parking brake which means the cable evidently stretches over 40 years. The replaced one works like a charm.
Joel

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom