Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Parking brake problem

bwing

Corvette
03 Z06,66 coupe(sold),99 Porsche Carrera(sold)
I recently replaced the front parking brake cable. Now the parking brake won't engage. The parking brake handle will pull up the slack but the cable to either side of the rear brakes will not budge. The parking brakes worked before the front cable snapped. Any help will be appreciated.

I recently replaced the front parking brake cable. Now the parking brake won't engage. The parking brake handle will pull up the slack but the cable to either side of the rear brakes will not budge. The parking brakes worked before the front cable snapped. Any help will be appreciated.
Are the rear drums adjusted up correctly??;shrug;shrug;shrug

Are the rear drums adjusted up correctly??;shrug;shrug;shrug

I've got 4 wheel disc brakes on the '66. When the parking brake is pulled "up" the front and rear cables are tight but the parking brakes won't hold. ;shrug

Junk was referring to the parking brake system. It is a small drum brake inside the rear disc rotors.

Tom

Junk was referring to the parking brake system. It is a small drum brake inside the rear disc rotors.

Tom

Whoops! Sorry Junk and Tom. I had no idea the parking brake had to be adjusted. I'll check the repair manual to get the proper steps on how to do this. I would rather try to do the repair myself before I think about sending it out for repair. According to something I read, there is a special tool required for the parking brake but I am not sure if it's needed to adjust the brakes.

I've got 4 wheel disc brakes on the '66. When the parking brake is pulled "up" the front and rear cables are tight but the parking brakes won't hold. ;shrug
You have Disc in the rear and you have a Small Drum built into it that houses the emergency brake!!:thumb With the wheel off there is a hole between 2 of the Wheel Studs that you can access the the adjuster through the hole if it's around 6 O'Clock!
It may need adjusted or some of the springs and things may be rusted off or broken!;shrug;shrug;shrug
It's the same basic set up I think from 64-82!:thumb
I'd probly adjust it,I don't have a 66 but this is out of the 69 service Manuel!! 66 I'm sure it is the same set up!:thumb

attachment.php

I have parking brakes! What a humbling experience. Something so simple causing a grown man to sweat. You're photo description is almost exactly the same as what's in the '66 manual. All it took was a flat head screwdriver and about an hour.

Thanks Junk! :beer

I have parking brakes! What a humbling experience. Something so simple causing a grown man to sweat. You're photo description is almost exactly the same as what's in the '66 manual. All it took was a flat head screwdriver and about an hour.

Thanks Junk! :beer
No Problem!!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom